junction boxes on lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, halfway through re-wiring my lighting circuit just finished upstairs using junction boxes for each light/switch in the attic is this acceptable as i have read a few posts that it is no longer legal and may not get passed off because if this when i come to get it tested? this is also the way i am planning to do the downstairs lights(junction boxes under floor boards) as i cant get more than 1 cable down 2 switches and dont want to chipping plaster away.

Sponsored Links
The debate over whether junction boxes under the carpet under the floor (or wherever) are accessible or not is as old as the hills.

My own view is that it's not so much the location of them but the lack of records to indicate their whereabouts.

If a PIR is next due in 10 years, is it unreasonable to make certain preparations when the time comes?

If the public were more aware of the requirements for PIRs and they had proper records of their electrical installation and they knew the new Axminster would have to come up in 6 months time, would they kill two birds with one stone or would they only have themselves to blame?

i will be making records of locations of all junction boxes my worry is that when it is all finished and i come 2 get the work signed off i will be told that jjunction boxes are not good enough and the work wont be signed off

As long as they are accessable they are not a problem i.e. in an open attic. What sort of light fittings are you using? Are they suitable for loop in wiring? Alternatively it may be a better idea to have the conections at the switches.

Sponsored Links
all lighting downstairs are downlighters and i can only run 1 cable through trunking 2 each switch

I would suggest using chockboxes or small junction boxes that can be accessed by pulling them through the downlight hole.

I've got one of these in my hands right now -

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/TLCT100C.JPG

Not actually used one in anger, just though I'd buy a few to have a play with.

It's quite small and reasonably well put together. 16A rating. Decent sized terminals. I like the fact that the two parts come apart. The large part can be wired loop in/out. The small part can be wired to the light at ground level instead of at the top of steps doing a balancing act. Then the two are simply clipped together and popped through the hole in the ceiling.

Only thing I don't like is that the loop in bit doesn't clamp the cables properly. The smaller bit seems to do it ok.

Sort the clamping on the loop in part and I think it's a winner.

For that haven't used them and might be interest....

Finished having a good play with the above Click Flow 16A connector. The clamp design prevents significant movement of the cores if terminated like in the photo - i.e. with sufficient sheath within the enclosure and with any cpc 'split' facing downwards or carefully snipped clean. Also if the cores are kept short and straight as in the photo.

It works better with 1.5mm and 2.5mm cable. 1mm cable moves a tad more and could twist out of the partially open top guide but when the housing is clipped on top, it keeps it contained.

You could only 'spur' from one if using 2x1mm positioned vertically in the guides. Flat won't work - either side by side or stacked.

I think it's a good item and I'll be using them in the future.

40mm wide
24mm high
105mm long (both parts joined)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back