lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to check something with you guys,

My lighting circuit is on a 6amp circuit am I right in assuming my lights should come under 1380w in total?

Is there a % considered used? as you are unlikely to have every light on.

Also if you are using energy saver bulbs I take it they are the ratings on the box ie only 11w (may seem like stupid questions but better to be safe than sorry!)

Just wanted to check as I Have added lights in the loft and about to add lights into the conservatory (currently they are running off a plug) and I have changed several of the lights into multi halogen lights.

If I wasn't using energy saver bulbs all of this would take me upto 1370w and thats a little close for my liking and the last thing I wnat to do is have an energy saver bulb dieing and replacing it with a standard bulb and then trip the whole lot out!

Sponsored Links
Hi Waynes

The Regulations state that you must allow 100W per bulb. (This is because although you may have lower wattage ones, the next person to live in your house may want brighter lights!). so yes 1,380W would be your max.

However, you can allow for diversity (ie not all lights will be switched on at the same time) and for a domestic building, this is 66%. On this basis, you could have up to 2,290W, so it looks like you are OK.

At the end of the day, as long as the cables can carry more than 6A, then it will be your mcb that trips if the circuit is overloaded and this would be easy to rectify.

Hope this is helpful

SB

Thanks for that, just the information I was looking for.

Looks like my mcb would trip if all my lights were on each with a 100w bulb, only just mind. so should be fine with that :)

You could also go to a 10A MCB 1.0mm will handle 16A before correction factors are applied, so in theory IF the cable was in air it would be possible to power an immersion heater. I don't recommend you try this at home.

Sponsored Links
if the fittings are suitable for fitting to a cuircuit of that rating. normal ES and BC lampholders are allowed. SES and SBC aren't. for things like downlighters you'd probablly have to check with the manufacturer/

Spoil sport!!

Nice to see you back Ban you seemed to have been away, nice new sig too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back