Lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any electrician out there help me please.

In last two houses I have lived in I have had the same electrical problem(?):-

On the lighting circuit when I have taken the wire out of the lightswitch connection and with the other end unconnected I still find a small electrical current in the wire (as picked up by my electrical screwdriver). The main fuse box was still live at this point. On inspection of the cable, I can find no fault and suspect that the current I am finding could be inducted from running parallel to other live wires?

What prompted my question is that I've just taken off two wall lights while re-decorating (they worked fine). Just noticed the issue when looking to re-fit the lights and want to check this is safe before putting them back. Replacing the cable would be a very messy job.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or should I replace the cable anyway?

Sponsored Links
Capacitive coupling and induction, if nearby cables are live and passing current then they can induce/couple a very small current into others around them. If you were to try and power any substantial load then the voltage at the end of the cable you're measuring should drop straight to zero. It doesn't take much to light a neon, and let's not even get started on the whole topic of *those* screwdrivers...

Ha the old trusty neon screwdriver. I presume you mean small voltage? the current should be immeasurable. Don't worry a resident spark will be along in a minute.

edit. God damn electrosuk beet me to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back