Lighting "design"?

Thanks All.

I'll try and answer the questions. Slightly update plan below.

• There are no wall cabinets, just tall and standard so no under cabinet work surface lighting needed. The only work surfaces are 180cm in front of the side window, and a 120cm x 3700cm island that has a ceiling extractor above it
  • The dining table will go as the plan or maybe towards the rear sliding door, so some flexablitly (movable lighting like this for above the dining table) might be an idea.
  • I hate Pinterest, if you actually find something you like, you have no idea where to actually buy it!
Cheers

upload_2018-3-2_16-29-54.png

Kitchen plan along wall
upload_2018-3-2_16-33-9.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks, time to go shopping. Pretty much to the top, 50mm gap.

Sponsored Links
You could put lights on top of the tall cupboards, behind opaque acrylic fillets.

It's a good idea to block the gap completely anyway, as no matter how good the extraction, the tops of the cupboards will get manky, and become a sticky fluffy insect graveyard. But lights that close to the ceiling will highlight any imperfections.

Hi.

On a related note is there a way of wiring lights A, B & C, with individual switches but also with a 4th switch that turns all off and on. I think that if the 4th switch is wired as an intermediate switch in some way.... The logic has melted my brain slightly. I'd like to control the areas individually but also have the option of lighting all at once. I know there are "scene" switches, but these need receivers on the lights which could turn out expensive.

Cheers.

That arrangement, variants of which I have used myself, provides for the 'over-ride' switch to switch on all the lights, regardless of the positions of the other switches, but what it doesn't guarantee is that switching 'off' that extra switch will make all the lights go out (any with their individual switches 'on' will stay on) - so it depends what functionality the OP wants.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I realise that - hence the :?: - and if all switches are in the same place, there's not much point.

Yes, I realise that - hence the :?: - and if all switches are in the same place, there's not much point.
Indeed. I nearly posted the same idea myself, but then thought that the OP probably wanted a switch which was 'guaranteed' to switch all lights off as well as on. However, as you say, if the extra switch were going to be in roughly the same place as the others, there would be very little point.

In my previous house, which had only one lighting circuit, all of the 1-way light switching used 2-way switches - so that, when any light was 'off', the light was connected to a 'common' line. Switches just inside the front door, and by our bed (and also a relay operated by an alarm system) connected that 'common' line to L, thereby causing virtually all of the lights in the house to come (or remain) on, regardless of the setting of individual switches. However, as with what we are now discussing, those switches could not switch off a light which was 'on' by virtue of its own switch.

Kind Regards, John

No, that won't do it.
That will do it, but it might be annoying

... but also with a 4th switch that turns all off and on.

Your design will flip the state of all the lights, so it will only turn them all off or on when they are all on or off. If one is on, then the 4th switch will turn that one off and the other two on.
Not my day.
Tosser.gif

Your design will turn them all on, but not all off if any were already on via their own switches, which might be annoying.

Last edited:
As I said, with EFLI's circuit, the switching on the fourth switch will cause all the lights to be on, regardless of whether they were previously on or off (but will not result in any going off). Switching the fourth switch 'off' will leave on any of the lights whose individual switches are 'on'. However, as EFLI has said, unless the fourth switch is going to be physically remote from the other three, there really is no point, anyway.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back