Lighting for under bath

I can't believe the amount of stick some of you are giving this guy - almost half of this topic consists of people bashing his/her choices of home decor rather than answering the question. This place becomes more and more like the plumbing forum with every day that passes.

Not being in a zone isn't the issue - you could actually fit lights in the bath itself, provided they were suitable for that location.

A collection of ceiling roses (or batten holders) won't be any use, as there is the issue of someone installing incandescent lamps in them

Ok I sort of see that ( is this a legal requirement)but surely there is the potential of any light fitting being changed

Indeed, and it is therefore common sense that you shouldn't install a fitting with the potential to generate significant heat near combustible materials, or materials with a low melting point. You'll probably find something relevant in part 4 of BS7671, along with External Influences in the appendices.

CFLs are no use either, since these still get hot when in use. Being in an enclosed space will only make this worse.

wont that just keep the bath warmer for longer lol ok so i see the point of that but even if they were low wattage would this really be a problem?

I personally don't think the heat generated by five or six CFLs is going to be enough to cause a problem, as there is a fair amount of volume to the space underneath a typical bath. However, it's still a bad idea as per above.

You may as well forget about the existing dimmer on the wall, since this could well be at or near it's maximum load anyway, and even if not, the type of lighting suitable for locating under a bath almost certainly won't be compatible with the dimmer.

The dimmer only has 3 low voltage lights so should be ok
and are there not dimmerable fluorescent lights ( or dimmerable ballastsThis is where i am confused - I thought if the under bath area ( with a sealed fixed panel) was unzoned ( as per the previous thread) am i wrong in thinking that if its unzoned then i could put more or less anything (within reason) there (obviously taking into account heat etc
)

As long as the bath panel is fixed and requires a tool to remove, the area under the bath is indeed unzoned. I can only assume that those who have so far suggested that you can't do as you have proposed are making that statement based on common sense rather than regulation. For example, if you've ever removed an old bath, there's almost always signs of water having made it down behind the tiles and down the wall behind the bath. I'd say the area is liable to damp, despite not being zoned.

A realistic solution to this lighting would be LED strips, and if you want different colours, get RGB types so you can set whatever colour you want. These require a dedicated controller, and remote controls are available so the controller and lights would be completely sealed under the bath, and you just need the battery operated remote to switch them on/off, change colours and whatever else.
Such as this: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/self-adhesive-tape-leds-metre-lumen-metre-p-1517.html

I dont want colour changing just a simple single colourd glow from the bath ( and i have access to so much lighting gel!!)

Then buy a string of white LEDs, perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Did anybody mentioned part P? I was under the impression that the WHOLE bathroom is a special location despite of the zones. If I am right - then NO, it is not legal to do it without notifying the LABC.

Did anybody mentioned part P? I was under the impression that the WHOLE bathroom is a special location despite of the zones. If I am right - then NO, it is not legal to do it without notifying the LABC.

The work would indeed be notifiable either way.

Sponsored Links
Back again!!!

so the bath panel has been fitted ( minus lights at the moment)
When i removed the old panel I checked for any signs of damp and there were none so thats one posative.
with regards to the schedule p
is that just a case of me doing the work and then getting an electrician to sign it off?

still wavering what to do as I saw in wickes an exterior Fluorescent (IP65) which may well do the job. I can mount it off the floor and have all the "control " in the loft
Though I havent given up on the low voltage led rope lights yet
Tnaks

part p is not you doing the work and getting an electrician to sign it off. It is either you pay an electrician to do the job and give you a certificate or notifying your LABC in advance, they will charge you for having the pleasure of doing some electrical work in the bathroom (my LABC wanted about £300) and will find somebody to inspect the work. Might want to charge you even more for testing the installation. If you want everything to be legal, either forget about the lights or pay an electrician, it would be cheaper than the LABC rout.

How about transparent glass or plastic tubes under the bath that go through the wall into the next room. With the end under the bath sealed shut the lamps can be slide in from the next room. This would be IP66 under the bath and permit easy changing of lamps with out any dis-assembly of the the IP66 enclosure. The ends of the tubes could be hidden by furniture or similar. Heat from the lamps in the confined space of the tubes might be a problem.

So he can do the work himself without notifying anybody then? Sounds strange that adding a light on the ceiling would require notification, while a light under the bath, i.e. in a potential danger of water leaking over it, is not notifiable :?:

Sounds strange that adding a light on the ceiling would require notification,
It might not - it depends where it is.

while a light under the bath, i.e. in a potential danger of water leaking over it, is not notifiable :?:
Take a deep breath and repeat after me:

I will not look for logic, consistency or reason in Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations; that way lies madness.
I will not look for logic, consistency or reason in Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations; that way lies madness.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back