Lighting help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently built an extension to the house Im renovating and would like to do the easy option and stick spotlights in but due to the insulation and looking a building control guidance notes this could be a little bit of an issue, everyone suggests I could get away with it or throw the wires in an then fit after signoff.. yeah yeah I know!

So i've been looking around for alternatives and stumbled on these, has anyone fitted them or any thoughts?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/futura-single-aluminium-1-lamp-spotlight/26494

more importanly know of any cheaper alternatives.. the ceiling is vaulted though with two velux's so dont suggest 12" pendants!

Cheers

David

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
They are spotlights. Any idea how many you'll need?

There's no information on light distribution, so no way to assess the number you'll need.

Only £30 each??

You might consider that cheap at london prices, but given I can get a spotlight for around £3 quid from a local wholesaler I'd say these are considerably more..

Anyway dont make the assumption that because the house is renovated and extended that I had a massive budget. I have done the majority of work myself and alot of the materials have been accumulated by mates over the past two years, for example one mate has a joinery and construction company, so any kingspan or full boards etc that would go in the skip get taken to my house.. so I've tried to do a house that hasnt been touched in 30 yrs on a budget of £20k.. Not that this means that I should spend £300 on lighting for one room.. that soon adds up to a large percentage of a budget..

I'm looking for around 10 - 15 depending on layouts.

I'm looking for around 10 - 15 depending on layouts.
:eek:

Save some of your budget for your electricity bill - 500 to 750w to poorly light a room.

And don't forget your obligations regarding the Building Regulations Part B.

I sometimes wonder why I bother with this forum, I didnt ask for advice on each aspect of building control - but I appreciate your concern in helping me find some lights that dont contravene building regs.

You may notice I said I dont want to use traditional downlighters, this is because the roof is of a warm deck construction due to the limited pitch available, and I dont have sufficient room to allow adequate clearance around the insulation on the downlighters.

As for electric bills, and conservation of energy.. nor did I state how many circuits they would be split across nor the bulb type or wattage to be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back