Lighting on a ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been in the loft tidying a few bits n bobs up there and re-doing some insulation and noticed my lighting circuit is on a ring rather than radial. Is this normal?
There's no high load there only a 3 bed semi and nothing more than lighting.

Obviosuly changing to a radial wouldn't be too expensive?? but is there any real need to change or is a ring circuit for lighting perfectly acceptable?

I've checked the consumer unti and from that it looks like the downstaris lighting is also a ring circuit.

Sponsored Links
How do you know it's 'on a ring'? Have you tested?

Not tested it no just visually followed cable.

One cable comes up from the consumer to 1st light then to 2nd then to 3rd and onto 4th where the cable continues back to down to the consumer unit.

both 'in' and 'out' cables are in a single trunking so clearly visible they both conect together in the consumer unit.

It all looks neat and tidy etc just wondering why a lighting circuit would be on a ring rather than a radial circuit to be honest?

If it really is a ring, there is technically nothing wrong with that providing the protective device is still correctly rated for the cable size and installation method used.

Sponsored Links
It's no problem then. I wouldn' t touch it.

There appears nothing wrong with it in practice, but if the lights have been wired as a ring what else has been done 'unconventionally'?

That sounds fine.

I havn't heard of lighing circuits being installed in a ring before. They are nornaly 'loop In' or 'Radial'

Which is maybe why you might have been originaly been confused and concerned?

I can't see a problem with them being in a ring. It's just not very common

To be honest everything looks fine. All cables are secured and everything is neat. Like I said I just wondered why it had been doen like that.
Anyway following on from a thread on here although all is neat and tidy with new insulation some of the cable will be covered. I guess I am better moving this to the top of the joists where there is no insulation?

Are there are requirements to cap/cover this then to prevent damage when putting stuff or moving about the loft space?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back