Lighting Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Can anyone help me with a lighting problem please.
I am putting up a small chandelier type light fitting, it is double insulated so I have terminated the earth cables into a chock block and the lives and neutrals are nice and tight into the light fitting as per instructions. The problem is its the breaker straight away whether switched on or not. The only thing I can think of is that there is a spur coming to a light in the hallway, could this be the problem? Please help not much hair left already!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, looks like I have a dead short then, unfortunately I have three reds and three blacks, cant see any markers. Presumably the cable i took to be a spur will be the switched live. If i can find it do I just terminate it or is it more complicated than that. I have installed plenty of light fittings but never had a problem like this.

looks like I have a dead short then,
Yep.

unfortunately I have three reds and three blacks,
Put the three reds in a separate block (like the earths).

cant see any markers. Presumably the cable i took to be a spur will be the switched live. If i can find it do I just terminate it
Not sure what you mean.
The black returning for the switch should be sleeved or taped to indicate this and connected to the live of the light.
The other two blacks should be connected to the neutral of the light.

To determine which is the switch cable
With the power off -
test for continuity between one of the blacks and the reds.
Open and close the switch to verify you have the right one.

Sponsored Links
Paul,
Don't feel too bad. At least once, every weekend somebody posts with exactly the same problem that you have had.

This weekend it was your turn.

Yup - the world is full of fools who don't see why they shouldn't fiddle with things they don't understand, and think that nothing could go wrong or even change if they connect wires together which were not connected together before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back