Ceiling Light Fitting Issues, Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an Inspire 5 Chandelier light fitting bought from argos, which takes 5 x 30w bulbs.

The old light fitting has been removed from the ceiling and the wires are into blocks rather than a rose.

The problem I have is the new light has 3 silver coloured wires and and earth cable from the chandelier.
As there is a black and red coming from the ceiling, what are the silver wires and where should they go?

The instructions are no help as it shows standard colour wiring and no mention of the fact the wires from the light are all the same.

Any suggestions / help?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know why there would be three.

Can we have a picture?

I note on the Homebase site for this item it states "No wiring required".

I imagine there should be a label saying which is L, N and E on the fitting.
Can you upload a photo of the fitting?
If you live close to an Argos store then it may be viable to swop it.

Hi, cannot upload photo at moment as not with the fitting.

Tried to speak to Argos and Homebase both suggested to get an electrician to fit it!

There is nothing on the wires or fitting itself to indicate which wire is which.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may have 2 earths, 1 live and 1 neutral. 1 earth for the chandelier fitting itself and 1 for the ceiling mounted bracket. But don't take that as gospel. We await pics.

It does appear to have 2 earths but the 3 silver wires should be labelled. Does it use screw in lamps? If so, its especially important to get the live and neutral in the correct terminal. Maybe its a returned item and the previous numpty removed the labels. Take it back and ask for another.

Hi, Yes it does have screw in bulbs, I think it may be best if I just took it back or got them to check another one to see if the wires are the same?

Yes take it back and see if wires are labelled. I fitted one recently and there was no confusion with it.

BTW with the old fitting, it shouldn't matter about lack of rose, if its the same as the one I fitted all you should have is wires coming out of ceiling. Ensure power is off at consumer unit (fusebox) and I would strongly recommend testing the wires to ensure they're not live. You just dont know what previous people have done.

DO NOT ASSUME ONE OF THE SILVER WIRES IS ANOTHER EARTH.

I have fitted lights in the past where they have had two wires (live) and one remaining wire (neutral).

Look carefully for some writing or a coloured stripe on each wire.

EITHER WAY, YOU NEED A CONTINUITY TESTER TO CONFIRM WHERE EACH WIRE GOES.

WE CAN TALK YOU THROUGH HOW TO CONFIRM WHICH EACH WIRE IS. IF IN DOUBT YOU MUST GET AN ELECTRICIAN TO CHECK THIS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back