Lighting run off ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just swapped a socket that is never used for a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse now I want to run a cable to a new light switch from it to power under cabinet lighting,I'm just wondering what to do as light switches do not have a neutral ,do I not connect the, out neutral at the spur and just wire the light switch as live and earth.

Sponsored Links
Take line, neutral and earth from the load side of the FCU to the light switch.
At the switch connect the line into common and the neutral into a terminal block - with the earth to the backbox (unless its a metal switch in which case a fly lead goes from the earth on the switch to the backbox as well).

From your switch connect the cable as follows line to L1 and neutral to neutral block. Earth to earth. At the light line to line, neutral to neutral and earth to earth. (if required)

Connect the cable as normal to the FCU load side- L N E.
Then run the cable to switch.

Look at it like this - At the switch, if you can remove the grey sheath without damaging the wires just cut the Line (live) conductor and connect the switch to both ends of the cut Line (live) conductor leaving the N untouched (If a metal switch you will need to cut and connect the Earth) then on to the light - L N E.

Take line, neutral and earth from the load side of the FCU to the light switch.
At the switch connect the line into common and the neutral into a terminal block - with the earth to the backbox (unless its a metal switch in which case a fly lead goes from the earth on the switch to the backbox as well).

From your switch connect the cable as follows line to L1 and neutral to neutral block. Earth to earth. At the light line to line, neutral to neutral and earth to earth. (if required)

Does it matter what size terminal block I use...do I leave the terminal block loose in the back of the box

Sponsored Links
Small, 5A terminal block.
Position it in the back box where it won't get in the way of faceplate screws. Should be loads of room behind a 1 gang switch even in a 16mm box.

do I not connect the, out neutral at the spur and just wire the light switch as live and earth.
Ye Gods.

Just what went on inside your head when you decided it would be OK to do electrical installation work when you don't know the most incredibly basic things about how circuits work?

I've looked behind kitchen light switch and there is a red wire in common and a black wire with small red sleeve over part of it connected to 2 way and an earth ..so no neutral so that's the end of coming off the main kitchen light switch I think
And here you are proposing to reproduce the situation of not having a neutral.

:rolleyes:

Wake up and smell the coffee - electrical work is not for you, or at least not yet.

Sparky in job done proper ..... Thanks for the helpful info received from all........ye gods :mrgreen: Bit more reading to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back