Lighting spur from socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a double socket which has a single (fixed) light plugged into it (standard plug 3A fuse). I wanted to tidy this up by taking a spur from the socket into a switched FCU and connecting the light to this. Unfortunately, the socket is a spur from another socket so I know I can't do it the way I had planned. I could replace the socket with a FSU but I do plug stuff in there sometimes so I'd like to keep it. I think the other way to do it is: ring main socket - FCU(13A) - socket - FCU (3A) - light. This will start to look messy so is there any other way to do it? I understand now why the light has a plug on it so I might just keep it that way...

Sponsored Links
You could use a dual accessory box and just have one socket with an FCU next to it?

ignore this

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
not if both the light and socket run off the fcu, it is after all going to be used but not often?

very true scrub that, though it's the cable that's protected as such not the light

Surely that would still be a spur off a spur?
not if both the light and socket run off the fcu, it is after all going to be used but not often?
Single socket and FCU feeding the light - Yes, technically that might not comply with BS7671, but given that somebody could easily plug a couple of 10A loads into a double socket, from the practical point of view it would actually result in a lower maximum possible current on the spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back