Lighting wiring query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have 3 queries on new lights I am trying to install.

Firstly, after removing the old light fittings I have discovered that there is no earth wire in the wiring for the lights in our flat. So I have just installed new light fittings with just live and neutral wire, is this safe? The flat was built around 1960, so is this why no earth?

Second - In the hallway the old light fitting had two bulbs in it, each with its own red and blue wire going to each bulb. However the new light fitting has just one socket for a live and neutral, which I have put one set of red and black wires into. The other now 'spare' set of wires I have just taped off individually and are not wired into anything. It seems to work fine, but is this ok?

Thirdly. I'm trying to put a new light fitting in the lounge. It has 1 dimmer switch controlling it. When I removed the old rose, I have 2 cables, each with a red and a black wire in. And another cable with a blue and a brown wire in. I tried putting wiring it, but all I can get is the light to be permenantly stuck on. Any idea what I should be doing, as all that is on the new light fitting is a live, neutral and earth socket?

Cheers if you can help with any of the above

Sponsored Links
safer to have earthing just in cae a fault occurs in particular on the switch plate where a fault somewhere inside could make the screws potentially become live without earthing of any kind. This is very important in bathrooms where supplemnentry bonding should be linked as well.

where does the other cable go to? can it be safely disconnected from the supply? At worst cut back wires showing and screw into small choc block then tape but really best to remove power source.

What colour cable is at the dimmer?

If the fitting or the switch are metal then they must be earthed. It should say on the instructions or on the fitting itself.

this true for all metal fittings unless they are double insulated. Look for a sign on the fitting that looks like two squares, one inside the other. That will tell you it is double insulated and does not need to be earthed.

Ok, well the light fitting in the hallway is one of those metal bars with 3 halogen bulbs on. And the light fitting in the lounge is also metal.
I know nothing about how to fit an earth wire though. Is this a big job for an electrician?

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get an electrician in now anyway as we have an extractor fan in the kitchen that wont turn on also!

Not sure what wires go into the dimmer switch - I didn't look in the switch.

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back