lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have two ceiling lights in my living room, both have their own swithes.
i want to have a double switch instead of two single switches, what is the easiest method please. :confused:
the new switch is to be in a different position as both single switches will be removed

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you'l have to re-route the switch drops from the current switches to the new location and fit an appropraitte 2 gang switch.

Is the room currently undergoing refurbishment?
How close together are the lights?
Are they on the same circuit? - does the one MCB at the fuseboard isolate both lights?
Do you have access to above the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
both lights are on the downstairs lighting circuit.
the living room is 22 ft long but i have removed a door from one end of the room so i no longer need that light switch. but i obviously still need the light. i want to operate both lights from one location.
just like staircase lighting.

Well than the simplest method would be to divert the existing switch lines to their new position, if you have to do a joint connection then make sure it's accessible and done accordingly.
Ideally, if you can gain access to both light positions and the new switch position from above, then replacing the cabling would be advised so as to remove unnecessary joints.

This is assuming that the supply isn't wired through the switch's

Do you know if there is an RCD protecting the circuit currently?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back