lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just added an extra light into an extension but i want to change the current single switch to a double so lights can be turned on/off independantly, currently the switch cable runs into a four way junction box as this supplies other lights and then runs from there to the ceiling rose, i have taken a spur from there for the new light. Cable running from junction box to light is 3 core red/black and earth. Just can't get my head round this what i am sure should be an easy job once you know how...PLEASE Help....frustrating the hell out of me??

Sponsored Links
Not sure I fully understand what you want to do so a few questions:

1) You have added an additional lighting point to an existing lighting circuit in the same room?

2) So you now have two (or more) lights in that room that come on at the same time and operated by a single switch?

3) You want to be able to switch on/off some of those lights independently?

If that is all correct then you will need to ensure that you have an un-switched supply to the new lighting position and then interrupt the live (brown or red) at the ceiling rose position or at the junction box with an additional single pole switch. You need to run twin+earth from the junction box/ceiling rose to the new switch. the new switch simply interrupts the live to the new light.

sorry if my first post was unclear, i will try again..

there are currently 2 lights on one switch, I want to be able to change the single switch for a double switch (2 gang)in order to switch them on/off independantly.

set up as it is .....the circuit cable goes into a junction box, then twin+E (red, black) down to switch, another cable(blue+brown+E) from the junction box to light, I have then added a further bl+br+E to the additional light.

i hope this is more clear

Sponsored Links
You say you have added another cable to the additional light. Where does the other end go?

With just a twin and earth down to the switch you will not be able to switch another light from this switch independently.

I have then added a further bl+br+E to the additional light.

Good, do the following:

1) run another twin + earth from the junction box to the new switch (whether the new switch is ganged to the original switch position or not)

2) at the junction box disconnect the brown that runs to the new light and connect it to the new blue that you will run to the new switch. (place some brown sleeving on it to indicate it will be switched live)
You may need to find a spare terminal or use a chock block.

3) at the junction box connect the new brown from the new switch to the connection from which you removed the brown in step 2) above.

4) at the switch connect the brown to terminal marked common

5) at the switch connect the blue (sleeve it brown) to L1

6) Sleeve both earths (CPCs) and connect them.

Done..

You will then be able to switch both lights on/off independently of one another.

okay followed all procedures given by automationman, now both lights work but come on at the same time, when left switch is on can turn both off/on together at both switches, when left switch is off niether light comes on?? Again I am sure this is a simple problem but i am having a serious blond moment and just can't get my head round it...please help.
Appologies if this isn't the correct forum but has yeilded responses so please bare with me...

1) run another twin + earth from the junction box to the new switch (whether the new switch is ganged to the original switch position or not)

2) at the junction box disconnect the brown that runs to the new light and connect it to the new blue that you will run to the new switch. (place some brown sleeving on it to indicate it will be switched live)
You may need to find a spare terminal or use a chock block.

3) at the junction box connect the new brown from the new switch to the connection from which you removed the brown in step 2) above.

In 3) above, I was assuming you had connected the brown to an unswitched live. Remove the brown from the connector and place it on an unswitched live which will likely be the red that comes in from another room or direct from the CU. Your junction is box is probably just like a ceiling rose in terms of connections so you can refer to the link that B-A-S posted.

4) at the switch connect the brown to terminal marked common

5) at the switch connect the blue (sleeve it brown) to L1

6) Sleeve both earths (CPCs) and connect them.

[/b][/i]

okay followed all procedures given by automationman, now both lights work but come on at the same time, when left switch is on can turn both off/on together at both switches, when left switch is off niether light comes on?? Again I am sure this is a simple problem but i am having a serious blond moment and just can't get my head round it...please help.
Appologies if this isn't the correct forum but has yeilded responses so please bare with me...

BOTH LIGHTS NEED TO BE SWITCHED ON TO TURN OFF OR ON :rolleyes:

thanks for your patience but I just ain't getting it??? tried taking brown to unswitched connection in junction box now both lights turn on/off but only on right switch, left switch does nothing now.

Have a good read of the links posted by B-A-S.

What you say is an unswitched live does not sound like it is unswitched.

You can try this:

1) Leave the new brown (from the new switch) disconnected at the junction box.

2) On the new switch: link common to the original switch common
Not a very clean solution but will get you going and buy you time to work out the wiring.

Am I thick or what? That is rhetorical so please be kind and don't answer...

just discovered the bloody switch I was trying to use is defective.

I understand the principals but just struggling putting it into practice, so one more question, do I need to run twin+earth from new light to junction box or can it go from original light.

where it's at

1. from consumer unit into junction box 2 core+earth

2. there is another 2core+e in the same junction box which goes of to feed another junction box

3. currently there is just one (as other switch is not working)
2core+e going down to switch, brown-com, blue-one way and at junction box blue-switch, brown-live

4. in junction box to light blue-neutral, brown-switch

5. into first light blue to blue, brown to brown

6. taken from first light into second that i would like to have working independantly blue-blue, brown brown.

I hope that is clear

1. from consumer unit into junction box 2 core+earth

You need to connect the new brown from the new switch to the red from the CU.

2. there is another 2core+e in the same junction box which goes of to feed another junction box

Good but we do not need to worry about that for now

3. currently there is just one (as other switch is not working)
2core+e going down to switch, brown-com, blue-one way and at junction box blue-switch, brown-live Good, assuming the live is the red wire from the CU

4. in junction box to light blue-neutral, brown-switch
Correct

5. into first light blue to blue, brown to brown
Good, assuming the brown is a switched live

6. taken from first light into second that i would like to have working independantly blue-blue, brown brown.
No thats wrong.. You must run twin+earth from the junction box to the new (second light)

You need the following:

1) Twin + earth from CU to junction box.

2) Twin + earth from junction box to old light (original twin+earth)
At junction box:
Blue (from old light) to neutral feed from CU (either blue or black)
Brown (from old light) to blue of twin + earth from old switch.
Brown to old switch from live (red) at junction box(red from CU)

3) Twin + earth from junction box to new light
At junction box
Blue (from new light) to neutral feed from CU (either blue or black)
Brown (from new light) to blue from new switch (original twin+earth)
Brown to new switch from live (red) at junction box(red from CU)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back