Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to install a metal light fitting in an upstairs bedroom which wouldn't be a problem as I have changed several so far and fitted the junction boxes, etc. as no scope for ceiling roses.

However this fitting involves more wires than before and I wanted to check the best way to do it and/or any best practice/tips.

There will be 6 cables involved. 4 are the common ones you'd expect :

loop in
loop out
light fitting
switch

however..... the lighting circuit for upstairs also starts here and the previous occupants have also taken cable for a light in the loft.

Where previously I have used 4 terminal junction boxes, should I now use a 6 terminal one and if so is H/D 20A suitable, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions on the best/safest way to do this.

:)

Sponsored Links
Presumably all six cables are connected to the 4 terminals in the ceiling rose without any extra connectors being used for 2-way ccts.. If so then you only need a 4-way junction box as before, but you may have difficulty getting all the wires into the terminations, so as you say a 20A one would probably be a better idea with the cable running out & down through the ceiling for the light fitting. You will have to ensure that the J/B is always accessible. A lttle bit confused by "the upstairs lighting starts here", I would have thought that was your "loop in", you may need to ensure you do not have yet another cct.

Hi, thanks for replies.

By "the lighting circuit for upstairs starts here" I believe the upstairs circuit begins here fed from the mains unit in the garage (this bedroom is above the garage) - when this cable is left out no upstairs lights work!

@holmslaw - yes there are earths, including the additional one on the collar of the light fitting to connect up

If splitting to 2 x 4 terminal boxes how would these be best wired? Isn't 20A too high?

Sponsored Links
If splitting to 2 x 4 terminal boxes how would these be best wired? Isn't 20A too high?

The 20A refers to the max current that the junction box can handle. Your lighting circuit will not be able to deliver more than 10A as that will be value of the fuse/contact breaker in the consumer unit.

How you wire it is up to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back