New house changing lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new house and have changed numerous light fittings over from the standard boring (cheap) pendants.
Upstairs
Was 6 x 100W now 920W after changing 5 lights. I believe this is within the guideline of 1200W for a lighting circuit. Removed pendants completely and replaced with 20amp 4 terminal junction boxes. Junction boxes secured to joists in loft, accessible but not in a position to be kicked or stepped on. Earth sleeving used, earth connection tested with meter on the junction box. Short 1.5m cable from the junction box to the terminal block on the light fitting. Earth checked on the light fitting with a meter.

Downstairs
Was 5 x 100W now 700W. Again removed pendants. Found only single cable to the lounge & kitchen light. Not sure if it’s to make life easier when changing lights downstairs or just the way it was wired up? Wired cable direct into terminal block on light fitting.

Does any of the above required checking under P regulations and a certificate issued? Have I missed anything?
Am I still insured? :D

Sponsored Links
what exactly are you worried about? do all the lights work? the lights at our house were wired in junction boxes under the floorboards, so only one cable is visible at each light. Presumably because we specifically asked the spark to do this so we could have modern light fittings. Some lights are looped in at the switch, also only having one wire at the fitting. Your wiring is not unusual and probably perfectly safe.

i'm not worried about the existing electrics. It's a new house what could possible be wrong with wiring in a new house :D However I did find two sockets where the wires were not screwed in. My question was is my approach OK. 20AMP junction boxs, 1.5mm to the lights and most important is my house insurance still valid.

Sponsored Links
Space Dust said:
i'm not worried about the existing electrics. It's a new house what could possible be wrong with wiring in a new house :D However I did find two sockets where the wires were not screwed in. My question was is my approach OK. 20AMP junction boxs, 1.5mm to the lights and most important is my house insurance still valid.

didnt realise you were changing the wiring, thought you were describing the existing wiring that you found while changing fittings. What you have done sounds fine though. Replicating the ceiling rose wiring in junction boxes is the norm. and your house insurance should be fine. not sure about part p, perhaps ban could clarify here. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back