2nd light taken from ceiling rose...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a "lovely" false ceiling in the upstairs hall, and this is the first time I have looked at this part of the lighting circuit. It is a two way switched circuit (downstairs/upstairs) switching two circular lights in the upstairs Hall.

Upon inspection the main circular light is fed from the ceiling rose, however the second light has been connected with a terminal block between the ceiling rose and light. This was tucked up between the light unit and the false ceiling...

The circular light will be going in favour of a pendant light. What would be the best solution to keep the two lights/one switch arrangement that I have? The ceiling rose is wired as loop-in so is already quite crowded in there - I don't fancy my chances of fitting the 4th cable in there whilst hanging over the stairs! I am thinking that a Junction Box in the loft will be the best way to go.

Mal

Sponsored Links
JB may be less than ideal as it would be in loft. Insulation is present and whilst at the moment access is OK, in the future with boarding this may not be the case. That said the loft is going to become central node in my Home Automation project, so I envisage having various access hatches for cables...

Would the Ashley JB be suitable as it would be tucked up behind ceiling rose in the loft cavity, so covered with insulation? If I can get the 4th wire to fit, could I stick with the ceiling rose?

Mal

Would the Ashley JB be suitable as it would be tucked up behind ceiling rose in the loft cavity, so covered with insulation?
No you cannot do that - the Anshley JB's must not be covered by insulation.

If I can get the 4th wire to fit, could I stick with the ceiling rose?
Mal
Ceiling roses are just junction boxes so provided it is not covered in insulation then you should be okay.
I have fitted six 1mm cables in a ceiling rose - the only difficulty is the single earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
There is insulation in the loft, but the ceiling rose is screwed through the plaster ceiling into the joist. The light will be a pendant type so hanging several inches below ceiling. Is this OK or should I be clearing an air gap in the insulation directly above the light, as you would with downlights?

There is insulation in the loft, but the ceiling rose is screwed through the plaster ceiling into the joist. The light will be a pendant type so hanging several inches below ceiling. Is this OK or should I be clearing an air gap in the insulation directly above the light, as you would with downlights?
Sorry I got the impression that the ceiling rose was located inside the loft area. If it as you describe then this is fine.
Make sure you make a note of where each conductor goes before you start moving them around the ceiling rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back