Lightning strikes and RCD's

Pensdown said:
If you have a look around the Wiki section all will become clear.

Sorry, but I did look, read and attempt to interpret and became confused :eek:

As far as I can tell the point of bonding the radiator circuit is to make each room safe from cross contamination from the other. When plastic pipes are used, they provide automatic isolation and thereby do away with the need to earth bond the radiator circuit. From what I could tell from reading the documentation, the bonding ( or not in plastic ) is a safety requirement based on current regs to protect against somehow wiring touching pipes and becoming live.

So I suppose my question is, do I need to retrospectively earth bond the heating circuit ? JohnD did not mention it in his earlier post ( please see post 6 ) and it was only in subsequent reading of articles that I started to wonder.

Sponsored Links
You don't have to supplementary-bond radiators.

You do have to supplementary bond all metal pipes that enter a bathroom. That might include radiator pipes if the bathroom contains them. You do not have to bond radiator pipes in other rooms.

You must also main-bond metallic services when they enter the house.

The idea is that once you have bonded these pipes when they come in, in case there should be a voltage outside. they will not introduce a voltage once inside. The house (and the bathroom within it) forms an equipotential zone where the CPC of the cables has been linked to the pipes where they come in.

Once that has been done, if a live wire should touch a metal pipe, the fuse will blow or the MCB trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back