lights and fan bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have small bathroom with simple standard light from rose with switch outside. i have built an shower cubical and now want to add fan and additional light in shower cubical.
I either wanty to keep existing light and add light (spot?) over shower and fan. or replace existing simple light with couple of spots.
I believe i can get a light and fan combined for shower, can i wire this directly into existing light circuit? Can i put in an extra cord pull witch just for the light/fan?
Any advise on how i can do this and best kit to use appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First off. if you are going to put a fan in the shower cubical then it must be suitable for the zone that it is going in.
Unless you have a high ceiling then it will need to be a 12v (SELV) fan or one of the combo fan lights that you mentioned.

Ditto if you are going to put spots in your shower you need to make sure they also are designed for the zone.

Yes you can put in an extra switch for the light/fan. You'll need an isolator switch anyway so a three pole pull switch is often used to provide separate control.

Lastly, please remember to do your supplementary equipotential bonding and to notify your local authority before you start ANY electrical work in a bathropom.

If the last paragraph confuses you then check out the WIKI (Part P section) or get in a registtered electrician - see www.competentperson.co.uk for one in your area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back