lights / bonding in bathroom

Sponsored Links
sijaysee said:
you are such a smartarse ban..........its no wonder you get peoples backs up!!
If a question like "Why should they? Are they extraneous-conductive-parts?" puts your back up then maybe you should consider choosing a career that doesn't involve a lot of learning and questioning

yes ok perhaps i didnt mention about plastic pipework but i and most pro's are aware of the different rules concerning plastic..
1) You'd be surprised how incorrect that is

2) Please remember that when you started this thread you wrote
this whole bonding business confuses me!!

but you just play games with people.
Maybe you're too quick to judge people by your own standards. I was simply and honestly answering your question.

i think that everyone assumed that we were talking about copper and i apologise if i didnt make it clear.
I didn't assume it, and if you did why did you ask the question about metallic baths being e-c-ps?

I like the way sijaysee and bazdaa resort to childish, derogatory and irrelevant comments, whilst ban-all-sheds remains a calm, collective adult just responding to the technical points herein.

sijaysee and bazdaa, you're entitled to your opinion of ban, but when you phrase your purile abuse, please remember that the majority of people on these forums don't have an issue with him and do not share your opinion. It is actually by far the minority who have an issue- usually people who "get their backs up" when they're proved wrong on something.

And compare ban-all-shed's last 8,000 posts on this forum to your ~70. Have you added any value to the forum? Has ban-all-sheds? Is the world grateful you bothered to post here in the first place?

i didnt ask the question , i said that metal baths and shower trays should be bonded and it was spark 123 who said that they didnt. and i dont think he was considering whether the pipes were copper or plastic

Sponsored Links
sijaysee said:
there are proper electricians seeming to be confused about all this!!

Thats the most worrying part. But its obviously OK for them not to know or to be unsure of something!

that is what im trying to get at. i ask for advice and i get 3 electricians plus ban all saying different things. So either they are unsure or they firmly believe that they do it the correct way or they are all wrong. Or maybe just ban is correct and all the others are incompetent.......But one thing is for sure.........its not just me that is confused!! Oh but im the only one that admits it

sijaysee said:
no i dont actually do lager.........i think it was blossom hill
Whatever - it merely acted to make you only marginally less coherent.

sijaysee said:
.....i do find it funny though that there are proper electricians seeming to be confused about all this!! just proved my point all along
Unfortunately, you thinking that electricians are confused is not the same thing as them actually being confused. Whereas your original point was as follows:

...this whole bonding business confuses me!! in the end all the earths and bonding go back to the fuse board and as long as continuity is maintained then thats all that matters
As you say, you are still confused, and you still don't understand that bonding is not about running earths back to the MET.

yes i do understand all that now...............keep everything at the same potential in theclose vicinity . yes yes!!.......its the bonding in the bathroom which i find funny now because like i said, there are electricians out there who are saying that they are doing things differently and all i am saying is only one of them can be right........surely you cant dispute that softus? maybe electricians cannot be confused....only wrong

sijaysee said:
that is what im trying to get at. i ask for advice and i get 3 electricians plus ban all saying different things.
If you don't want 3 electricians to answer your question, then don't post it on a forum - just go and ask another electrician.

If you look beyond the face value, you'll notice that the different statements were based on different sets of assumptions. This is what always happens when assumptions are made.

Bear in mind, also, that we're communicating via the written word, with none of the visible or audible cues that humans rely on 90% of the time. So some of the differences are simply down to not using the same vocabulary in the same way. It is for this reason, I surmise, that b-a-s uses very straightforward langauge, and, whenever necessary, refers to an unequivocal source of information.

So your advisors are rarely unsure, wrong only occasionally, and firmly believe only what arises from their considerable training and experience. They are not "always right" - they are constantly re-affirming their own understanding of a reasonably complex subject, and are open-minded to new ideas and working practices. This is what makes them good electricians, and it is what you must do in order to become one.

Softus said:
Bear in mind, also, that we're communicating via the written word, with none of the visible or audible cues that humans rely on 90% of the time. So some of the differences are simply down to not using the same vocabulary in the same way.

Its a pity you did not recognise this, when the shoe is on the other foot! This just sounds a bit hypocritical now.

Bazdaa said:
Its a pity you did not recognise this, when the shoe is on the other foot!
I don't know what you're referring to. If I'm wrong, and I know I'm wrong, then I say so. However, the universe in which you're right AND I'm wrong has to yet to be created.

Bazdaa said:
This just sounds a bit hypocritical now.
You're probably one of those people who hears what they wish to hear.

Bazdaa said:
I'm sure you'll work it out.
I wish you luck in your world of being sure of your predictions about things that are not going to happen.

As I said Bazaad, I am tired of your posts, so I won't be replying to any more of them on this topic. Write what you like - it really doesn't have any bearing on anything anymore.

i dont believe that the different answers were based on different circumstances.i think that there are electricians out there who are doing the job wrong because of the way that they interperet the regs......we've proved that here.....i dont think that im in any way alone and i think that to suggest that i am only backs up my thinking. its the arrogance that i dont like.i can show you 2 houses that have recently been wired and the 2 are completely different in the bonding of the bathrooms even though they are essentually the same in terms of electrical items and metal pipework

sijaysee said:
i dont believe that the different answers were based on different circumstances.i think that there are electricians out there who are doing the job wrong because of the way that they interperet the regs......we've proved that here.....
OK. I believe you, I really do, but why are we talking about them here? Of course you would become confused by what you've seen other people do, but the way out of the confusion is to read about it - both here and in books.

sijaysee said:
i dont think that im in any way alone and i think that to suggest that i am only backs up my thinking.
I didn't intend to suggest that you were alone, and, in fact, I think I didn't.

sijaysee said:
its the arrogance that i dont like.
Well, fair point, nobody does, but please consider that what you perceive as arrogance is merely confidence and accuracy. And there's too much history in this forum for you to fight it, so you'd best to ignore it.

sijaysee said:
i can show you 2 houses that have recently been wired and the 2 are completely different in the bonding of the bathrooms even though they are essentually the same in terms of electrical items and metal pipework
Let's not go down that road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back