lights / bonding in bathroom

Sponsored Links
i do ......im not a vindictive person.........i love everyone and wish everyone a merry xmas

So after 11 pages! I have one final question.

Do you or don't you earth a metal bath :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

yes of course you do you muppet!! havn't you listened to anything anyone has said here!!!!

Sponsored Links
The correct answer is not nessacarilly.
Whoops I think this might lead to a gentlemanly disagreement between repected contributors

ebee is right. The answer is "not necessarily". Depends if it's an extraneous-conductive-part or not...

Spark123 said:
You don't need to bond a metal bath as it is not considered an extraneous conductive part (unless it is connected to metallic building support beams).
An extraneous conductive part is "A conductive part liable to introduce a potential, generally earth potential, (and not forming part of the electrical installation)."

After re-reading what I wrote (serves myself right for posting at 5am), I realise I dropped the clanger of it should have been not AS but IF (why do I keep doing this?). Imo a metalic bath in its own right is not an extraneous conductive part. You may make it an extraneous conductive part by connecting it to extraneous water/waste pipes. If both hot/cold water pipes are metalic throughout their length and supplementary bonded to the other requirements of the room, in my opinion there is no requirement to bond the actual taps to the metalic bath, the exception being if the bath is connected to another exposed conductive part such as a building support.
It is explained better in this document: http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs...tumn_plastic_pipes_to_bond_or_not_to_bond.pdf

Bazdaa, please do not get me wrong, it is not that I don't like being questioned, please feel free to correct or question me in any way which is appropriate, I just consider it rude in any way, shape or form to use swear words at people ;)

And so the debate go`s on, should you shouldnt you???, as mentioned previously a radiator doesnt necessarily require bonding direct (if the copper pipe to it is bonded).....then somebody commented on the fact there could be a lot of ptfe tape on the connections to the aforementioned and that the resistance should then be measured to see if the radiator itself required bonding or not.
The same can be said for the bath as with copper pipework attached to the taps could produce some sort of earth path (admittedly not much of one due to fibre/rubber washers and bath coatings etc).
Personally I think I would still bond to a metal bath (as I always have done) though I can understand the reasoning behind some other opinions of why not to.
One last thing and I will stop waffling...........has anybody figured out yet why at the bottom of every page of the plastic pipes item, it says the IEE are not responsible for any of the comments made above??
If the people who work for the IEE can`t say they are right............what chance do the rest of us have???

ban-all-sheds said:
Maybe somebody with the Snags & Solutions book could see what it says?

Ban

Snag 48:

Certain types of pipe fitting used to make joints.........cannot....be relied upon to provide electrical continuity between joined sections of pipe.

It is necessary to distinguish between pipework which is selected for use as a pc (as permitted under certain conditions by indent (vii) of 543-02-02) and pipework which is not.

Where metal pipework inc. joints which do not provide reliable continuity is selected for use as a pc, compensatory measures are required to ensure continuity.

Where pipework is not selected for use as a pc, the compensatory measures are not required.

Clear?

Crystal!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back