Lights - Dimmer - Plug Not Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not an Electrician but want to understand the logic of why the lights in our lounge do not work.

The fuse downstairs tripped and the lights were blown. Once the fuse was pushed down the rest of the downstairs lights worked properly except
the one's that have blown. (The lights that blew are on a dimmer switch).

Also the plug underneath the lights no longer works......all the others in the lounge do.

What has gone wrong and how do I put it right............I can never get an electrician to turn up.

Sponsored Links
Your description is hazy.

From what i can gather, a bulb blew and this caused the circuit to trip. Nothing unusual there. Quite common.

The lamp that failed was on a dimmer switch, yeah? Now, if it caused a surge enough to trip the circuit, it has probably fried your dimmer switch.

As for the socket under the switch - if this a round pin 5 amp socket supplied from the dimmer for a table lamp? If so, see above. If not, something fishy is going on here. :eek:

Thanks Steve

I understand the dimmer switch may be fried............Do you buy a new one or is their a fuse within it that you replace........sorry I know this probably sounds like I'm very thick.

What I do not understand is why the socket under the lights does not work.

Also A bulb fell out of the lights not working at the weekend and my wife put it back in tripping the rest of the downstair lights. Is that because it is stuck in the on position ????

Sponsored Links
Putting a lamp back into a holder should not cause the MCB to trip. Unless the fault is a loose or burnt wire in the lamp holder and a short occured as it was disturbed by the lamp being pushed back in.

What sort of lamp is it ? Picture ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back