Lights gone out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok.....
Last night most of the downstairs lights suddenly went out. I checked the trip switch and it hasn't tripped. Today I have swapped the trip switch with the upstairs light trip switch and that hasn't sorted it (so I know it's not a problem with the trip). I've taken out most of the light fittings and light switches downstairs and re-fitted them.... They are all tidy connections with no melting or burning.
When I turn on the living room light I can hear the light giving off a quiet buzz so I presume electric is getting to it even though it is not turning on.....
It also seems that one light that is controlled by the same trip switch is working fine??
Any ideas before I have to call a professional and pay a fortune?

Sponsored Links
You'll not find anythoing by just swopping things out and hoping.
You'll need a multimeter or two probe voltage test probe.

It also seems that one light that is controlled by the same trip switch is working fine??
Which proves that the trip switch is working. Lighting feeds are laid out on a string, so the feed goes from light 1 to light 2 to light 3, etc.
What you have described is a faulty/broken connection after the light that is working/.

If one of your lights is "buzzing" that would indicate a possible location for a bad connection. So worth investigating there first.

You'll not find anythoing by just swopping things out and hoping.
You'll need a multimeter or two probe voltage test probe.

Which proves that the trip switch is working. Lighting feeds are laid out on a string, so the feed goes from light 1 to light 2 to light 3, etc.
What you have described is a faulty/broken connection after the light that is working/.

If one of your lights is "buzzing" that would indicate a possible location for a bad connection. So worth investigating there first.
Ok, that helps.... We bought the house six months ago and all the effected switches and lights are brand new. I took the living room light completely out and left the wires loose but that didn't sort the problem, am I right in thinking with no light fitting at all that would "break" the loop and the other lights wouldn't come back on? Or, if the living room light was the problem, would taking it out completely and leaving the wires loose (in theory) solve the problem and allow the other lights to come back on?

Sponsored Links
I took the living room light completely out and left the wires loose but that didn't sort the problem, am I right in thinking with no light fitting at all that would "break" the loop and the other lights wouldn't come back on?

Yes, possibly, depending on exactly how they are wired; how many wires were coming out of the ceiling there?

But to be honest, if you have to ask that question this is verging on "you shouldn't be doing this yourself".

Are the fittings brand new because you've fitted them all yourself, or is it a brand new house?

Brand new as I've bought them and fitted them myself..... All been fitted since before Xmas and no problems until last night.
There were 4 wires coming from the ceiling. Live, neutral and earth and then another red wire which is just blanked into a connector block with nothing going to it.....

There were 4 wires coming from the ceiling. Live, neutral and earth and then another red wire which is just blanked into a connector block with nothing going to it.....

A photo of that might help; I can't immediately think of why you would find that combination of wires. Have you perhaps lost one or more inside the ceiling?

A photo of that might help; I can't immediately think of why you would find that combination of wires. Have you perhaps lost one or more inside the ceiling?

Insulated and sheathed single?

I can't think for what reason though!

I'm working at the moment so can't take a photo.... Will do so first thing tmrw morn...... Thanks so much for the help.... I know it must be annoying for those "in the know" to have to listen to muppets like me screw stuff up!!

image.jpeg
Ok.... I've just taken the living room light out.... I'm going to replace it with a fitting from upstairs....
This is the wires in the living room light, the connector block on its own with the two red (live?) wires going to it has not been connected to anything.... The light has been working fine for about 5 months....

Ok, I think I've found the problem
image.jpeg

This is the only light I haven't checked or replaced (typical) I've just opened it to see its all melted..... I'll replace this (obviously) but what may have caused this? The house is about 25 years old and this light is definitely an original light... There's no water or steam anywhere near (or above) this light?

Picture is abit dark, but a melted terminal is usually the sign of a loose connection.
Is that the light that was "buzzing"?

That's not the light that was buzzing, 6 lights had stopped working, I had replaced 4 of those myself when we bought the house so I got hung up on those lights thinking it must be a mistake I made.... Kind of pleased it isn't one of the lights I've fitted but just a little worried why this has melted....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back