Lights have power but don't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
In need of help in a big way. I have put in a new lighting circuit. It's on a 6A mcb in a split load CU. It is currently feeding one block of 6 downlights via a pull switch over 1.5mm t/e.
I have power on the phase entering the switch junction box and the switch seems to correctly send power to the lights.
BUT! the lights don't come on? I see power at the bulb holder but it doesn't energise the bulb.
have tried just connecting one light and still the same.

Could this be caused by the neutral being wired to the wrong side of the split load?

Am in a panic so all help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Yes it does. The configuration is the cable is that the cable goes from the cu to a 3 way jb where the switch connects the power to another jb that has the six lights connected straight through

when you say they have power, are you testing with a neon screwdriver :mad:

If so chuck it in the bin and invest £10 in a multimeter from the high street. You will soon be able to trace the fault then.

Sponsored Links
i did initialy but then got the megger out. I measured a steady 240v phase to earth as you would expet but got low readings of a few volts phase to earth. Hence my query about whether using the wrong neutral block mightg be the problem. I havenb'y wired to a split load before

Sorry. It has been a long day!
I meant to say that phase to neutral is showing as very low, a few volts

When you say split load board, do you mean one with RCD protection on half of it? If so then if you wired the neutral to the wrong side then it will trip.

Trying to understand how you have wired it. Is it possible you can post a diagram?

wiring to the wrong neutral block in a split-load will cause the RCD to trip once there is current draw above (usually) 30mA. However until the RCD is tripped, using the wrong neutral bar will not stop voltage being present at the terminals.

Did the RCD trip?

edited: bah!

p.s. do you mean that P-E is 230v and P_N is (some number much lower than 230)v? In that case, sounds like the N is not correctly connected. Test back from the CU to the first JB to the switch to the second JB to the lampholders and I expect you will find it.

That's what I thought should happen but it isn't tripping. It looks for all the world as if all the lights have blown but i checked that one first. Will try and knock up a quick diagram

I am struggling to get the diagram posted. Is there an easy way?
really appreciate you all trying to help me out here. I haven't used the forum before so I am a bit slow[/img]

JohnD said:
p.s. do you mean that P-E is 230v and P_N is (some number much lower than 230)v? In that case, sounds like the N is not correctly connected. Test back from the CU to the first JB to the switch to the second JB to the lampholders and I expect you will find it

That is exactly right and I will carry out that check. Thanks very much

Look at the FAQ

Ah now I get it. Might have to wait until tomorrow as I don't have a web site to post it from as yet.

Thanks for the advice chaps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back