Replacing old ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed an existing light fitting (broken) - it used terminal blocks to make the connections. I have replaced this with a modern rose. There is a single 3 core cable (twin and earth) from another light fitting/switch (not sure which), 2 way switching. When power is on at the switch the bulb does not light, but there is power registering at the rose and at the lamp holder. Tried different lamp holders and bulbs. This is one of a pair - I have successfully made the change on the first but no luck with the second - any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
When power is on at the switch the bulb does not light, but there is power registering at the rose and at the lamp holder.

I have two suggestions:

1) Your neutral wire is faulty. Power may be getting to the bulb but it won't light if there is no way back!

2)(a) Power is registering on your neon screwdriver. Is it lighting up nice and bright or just glowing feebly? OR (b) Your multimeter shows voltage between the lamp holder terminals. Is it the right voltage or just 'something there'? The hidden capacitor strikes again. :) :) :) Current is leaking between the cores in your two way switch wiring. It's enough to light a neon or register on a high impedance meter but it won't make your bulb work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back