lights in bathroom mysterioulsy fail to work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 recessed ceiling lights and an extractor fan in the bathroom. Today, all the electrics in the bathroom only suddenly stopped working. Nothing has tripped in the fuse box. I have tried to pull out the fuses but they seem to be stuck in. Is there a technique? I have attachd a picture of the fusebox.

Attachments

• fusebox.jpg
    fusebox.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 276
Sponsored Links
Those fuse/breakers do not just pull out, they need to be disconnected from the busbar and din rail. But it is doubtful that is going to help you establish or fix your problem.
Has any work been carried out on the installation that could have caused this issue? The work does not have to have been in the same room or even electrical.
Are you aware of any fused connection units that maybe serving the bathroom only?
It does sound like either a loose connection or possibly damage to a cable.

The fuse box was installed about 4 years ago. No works have taken in any part of the flat since. All the lights in the other room work.

I'm not aware of any fused connection units that maybe serving the bathroom only.

One thing that has just sprung to mind. I have underfloor hearing on a separate circuit. The grouting is breaking down in places. Could the possibility of water entering between the tiles have an effect on the circuit for the lights? I'm not an electrician and so am totally clueless.

Sponsored Links
As there is no evidence of a MCB or RCD tripping at the board.
We need to look elsewhere.
If the property has been rewired to normal standards, I would not expect any spurred circuits to board or any inline fuse connections.
So if light switch is on and fan iso is also on, then you have a damaged cable/switch or loose connection. Unless there is a transformer serving the bathroom

A the extractor stopped working as well, it suggests a wider problem, so unless the extractor blew up, and took out the transformer, then the problems got to be further back. Do you have a simple circuit tester to check for power to the extractor feed.

Check the switch, if it's a pull cord as they tend to break easily.:(

DS

Well thought out Deadshort, sometimes the obvious just doesn't slap you in the face hard enough.

You don`t have a switched fused connection unit fitted somewhere near the bathroom location, do you? Just thinking that someone may have fused down for the extractor but also put the lights on it aswell.

There's no chord but instead a light switch situated outside the bathroom. The fan is designed to come on when the lights are switched on. There is an isolation switch for the fan. I have tried switching the isolation on and off but with no effect.

The isolation switch will disconnect the fan, but if there isn't a feed from the light switch, then you won't get a response from the fan in the first place, so that's possibly a red herring. If you're going to tackle this yourself, then you need to find a way of checking if you've got any live supply in the bathroom circuit, and we need to know if the LED lights are 240v or 12v; and if they are 12V, do you know if they have a transformer per fitting, or one transformer for all of them.

Just had a thought, the fan should still come on even if the lights/transformers were shot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back