Halogen spot lights not working in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to switch on this morning and nothing. Been fine up till now. There are 10 bulbs in all sunk into the ceiling.

I dont know much about electrics.

Ive checked main fusebox and nothing has tripped. There's a fuse holder im gonna check later (3 amp) which is located outside bathroom (not the shower fuse which i know is elsewhere), but i think this could be for the shaver point (?)

failing this, would it be a transformer? if so, would this be located in my attic, where the lights are housesd above the bathroom?

PS, if it is a transformer, are these easy to replace? (I dont have any means of testing circuits etc and im also colourblind and try to avoid electrics!!!)

Many thanks and forgive me for lack of knowledge!

Mikey

Sponsored Links
If it's all ten lights not working then it's not likely to be a transformer - look for a common point of failure, in this case the light switch. My money's on a loose contact in the switch. If not that, look above the ceiling for a jucntion box that feeds into the bathroom lighting.

PJ

If it's all ten lights not working then it's not likely to be a transformer - look for a common point of failure, in this case the light switch. My money's on a loose contact in the switch. If not that, look above the ceiling for a jucntion box that feeds into the bathroom lighting.

PJ

thanks for advice mate, i'll first have a look at light switch contacts shortly.

cheers

Sponsored Links

PJ

right mate, checked both the switch and junction box and all cables are tight, nothing loose.

Any ideas what could be the cause of failure?

Check the 3 amp fuse i have come across several places where they have built an extension for the bathroom and taken the light supply from the existing socket supply via a 3a fcu

Are they elv lights ie 12v ? if yes can you check if you have power to the transformer ? if yes then it sounds as though its knackered or disconnected from the distribution point to the ten lights. But you say you have checked all the junction boxes so the disconnect is out the window.
Sorry just read you cant check circuits so i assume you cant check for voltage, safely.?

Check the 3 amp fuse i have come across several places where they have built an extension for the bathroom and taken the light supply from the existing socket supply via a 3a fcu

Are they elv lights ie 12v ? if yes can you check if you have power to the transformer ? if yes then it sounds as though its knackered or disconnected from the distribution point to the ten lights. But you say you have checked all the junction boxes so the disconnect is out the window.
Sorry just read you cant check circuits so i assume you cant check for voltage, safely.?

hi mate, i did check a fuse point outside the bathroom but im not sure its for the lights, but in any case i put a new 3amp fuse in and lights still not working (im wondering if the fuse is for the shaving point though as i know its not the shower fuse?)

ive got a spark coming tomorrow to have a better look, hope he's not gonna charge me the earth :confused:

i'll get back with outcome.

thanks again

We don't usually charge the earth - only the live and neutral ....

PJ

they have stopped working again!!

last time was caused by a small section of melted wire into a junction box, which the spark replaced. It all worked fine for months until the other day. Switch on and nothing.

Ive been up to have a look above the lights and nothing is burnt this time. All connections appear to be solid too. The lights are free from any lagging etc.

One bulb looks a little black and may have blown. Would this cause the circuit to fail? I took out the offending bulb but still no luck. Would steam from the bathroom shower cause thes elights to fail? The bulbs arent the proper ones needed for bathrooms/shower rooms, but they have worked for years with no problems....

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Are they on a dimmer switch? If so, this could be the problem as a blowing bulb can often destroy a dimmer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back