Lights in series, power in paralell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a situation where I have two existing 12v lamps in series (swimming pool) and a newly installed electrical panel with two separate circuits to individual lamps.

I have no way to separate the lamps now wired in series.

The lamps are 150w each and the two circuits each supply 150w.

Can I combine the outputs of the two circuits and deliver the necessary power to the lamps wired in series?

If not, what are my options?

Sponsored Links
24v at 12A is a fair sized transformer and not sure if two 12 volt lamps would comply with regulations wired that way. Yes it would work and since not UK I don't know if you can do it or not.

Would need hefty cable to stop volt drop.

Can I combine the outputs of the two circuits and deliver the necessary power to the lamps wired in series?

When you say two circuits on a newly installed electrical panel, do you mean a packaged transformer of some kind which has two separate sets of 12V output terminals?

If so, then it would depend upon what exactly is inside the box. If the transformer has just a single 12V secondary winding which is connected to two separate pairs of output terminals just for convenience, then you couldn't do it. If it's two completely separate 12V windings, each feeding one set of output terminals, then yes, you could wire the two secondaries in series to get 24V. That might involve some internal work though, as the windings might already be connected together (e.g. one end of each connected to earth, or a center-tap on each winding earthed).

Sponsored Links
Thanks ericmark and Paul_C.

Exactly what I needed to know.

Appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back