help with bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first message to the Forum and no-one has replied!! Feel very left out and no friends etc. Someone please reply and put me out of my misery!

Some help please. I am looking to install some downlighters into a bathroom that currently has a single lamp on a ceiling rose (which has loop in wiring).

I intend to have the lamps in two switched groups outside the basthroom door, one on a dimmer. This will mean removing the current pull switch and changing it to the dimmer.

Am looking for advice on the best/simplext way to do this.

Would it be OK to convert the existing loop-in rose to a junction box above the ceiling taking the dimmer direct from here (two or three lamps in series/paralell - are double insulated).

From this junction box could I then take power to another JB for the second groups of two lamps?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
My first message to the Forum and no-one has replied!! Feel very left out and no friends etc. Someone please reply and put me out of my misery!

Every one on here is a volunteer helper and all ( or most) have full time jobs so please be patient.

Any JB needs to be accessible for inspection. I assume that "above the ceiling" is in the loft? If so this will be OK.

Have you taken note of the zoning in the bathroom? All equipment needs to be appropriate to the zone it is located in.

And I assume you are aware that any work inside a zone is notifiable?

Sponsored Links
There are a few things to consider when you fit a dimmer:

1) Not all fluorescent lamps are dimmable. Halogens are dimmable but shouldn't be.

2) Not all transformers for low voltage lights are dimmable.

3) Not all dimmers are suitable for either transformers or fluorescents.

4) Dimmers have a maximum load (obviously). They may also have a minimum load (not so obvious).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back