lights upstairs not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys.

I own an old house around 80 years old which still has the old electrics in with the fuse box thats takes fuse wire :( unfortunately we turned on our bathroom light a few weeks ago and all the lights upstairs blew out. i have tried changing the fuse wire, bought new lights and put these up, checked there are no loose wires.

can anyone please help all my sockets bar one work so we are using lamps upstairs until i can fix this.

thanks

Sponsored Links
First place to look is in the eiling roses for the light fittings. When the terminal screws are tightened down on the copper wires, they cut into the copper and create a thinner, weak point. This is the equivalent of a fuse wire in the circuit, and under the added electrical strain of a lamp blowing this "fuse" can blow, ie come apart. It won't be visible to the naked eye - you'll have to open the ceiling rose and tug gently on each wire inside (having turned off the power to that circuit of course). the wire that comes loose when you tug it will be the one that has blown.

Also check at the fuse box end for the same thing - I had this just last week, the wire looked safe and snug in the fuse box termination, but that's where it had come apart.

PJ

The fault could be at either ceiling rose/light fittings or at switch plates, this will depend what method was used to install your circuits.
As you have one light on that works, that would suggest that connection at the fuse box are okay.
But your lights will be looped in to each other and seems likely the fault lies between the first and second light on circuit (this would normally be in a nearby room) So check at the fitting that works (rose and switch) for loose, burnt or damaged connections. then repeat this in the next room.
If you have equipment that can test for continuity this could help narrow the culprit down.
It could also be possible that junction boxes within the floor/ceiling void are also at fault or rodents or persons that have done any work in house recently.

Sponsored Links
Syntax error :eek:

Socket take plug, switches operate lights.

So is it lights that are gone or sockets? Given the aged aspect of the wiring it could be knackered cable, knackered junctions or knackered ceiling rose if wiring is loop in out at rose.

Unless you have wiring skills and a meter to test I'd suggest paying a local electrician to investigate.

As the OP was talking of upstairs lights failure, it would lead me rightly or wrongly to assume that this is were the problem lies and the mention of sockets was in reference to light sockets (as in lampholders) rather than wall sockets. But maybe a little clarity is required and actually no lights working and I have assumed wrongly and they also have one faulty socket(wall type).

They indicated it here
How'd you know there are more than one?
Don't understand your question. I have already explained my assumption in an early post.
But this is hardly helping the OP and is irrelevant. Enough initial information has already been given, covering a number of scenarios, to help the OP out. Without some more information, confirmation and/or clarification from the OP, which as yet, has not been offered. This thread is going nowhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back