Lights will not switch off

breezer said:
stevedo said:
breezer said:
i will put my money on the timer being set wrong, look at the pic, the red override switch isat the bottom of its position, i think it should be at the top

Thats because I've been trying to figure out what's going on. The little red switch was at the top (1) position.

what happens if you move it back to the top then?

It can't be the timer. He's had the yellow isolated from the timer output and the lights are still on,

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
stevedo said:
breezer said:
i will put my money on the timer being set wrong, look at the pic, the red override switch isat the bottom of its position, i think it should be at the top

Thats because I've been trying to figure out what's going on. The little red switch was at the top (1) position.

what happens if you move it back to the top then?

The lights stay on.

stevedo said:
kendor said:
is there another more local switch that may be overiding the timer and switch?

Not that I know of. We're still fairly new to the house so that's not to say that there isn't another switch
could be then, you might have to search it out, maybe they come on with a switch you use for other lights? these outside lights may very well be being double fed.

kendor said:
stevedo said:
kendor said:
is there another more local switch that may be overiding the timer and switch?

Not that I know of. We're still fairly new to the house so that's not to say that there isn't another switch
could be then, you might have to search it out, maybe they come on with a switch you use for other lights? these outside lights may very well be being double fed.

I'll see if I can find another switch.

Thanks everyone for their help and support so far.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
Distinct possibility if you're not familiar with all the switches yet. Could be that there was an original switch for the outside lights and somebody added the timer and its associated switch later.

without any more info i'm making a wild guess here but my suspicion is that the red and blue are not L and N but the three core is the other end of a two way lighting circuit. and neutral for the timer motor is in series through a lamp filament.

kendor said:
without any more info i'm making a wild guess here but my suspicion is that the red and blue are not L and N but the three core is the other end of a two way lighting circuit. and neutral for the timer motor is in series through a lamp filament.

I can't see any other switches. What more info do you need?

kendor said:
That seems unlikely, as the timer would not have been operating properly. The motor would run fine through the relatively low reistance of the lamp filaments, but the timer would stop as soon as the lights came on.

I would have thought Steve would have mentioned the timer not running properly if that were the case.

Paul_C said:
kendor said:
That seems unlikely, as the timer would not have been operating properly. The motor would run fine through the relatively low reistance of the lamp filaments, but the timer would stop as soon as the lights came on.

I would have thought Steve would have mentioned the timer not running properly if that were the case.
why would the motor stop when the lamps came on? they are tungsten filaments after all with negative coefficient of resistance.

Paul_C said:
kendor said:

Current situation is, 2 lights are on with the 3rd bulb removed, timer is running and yellow wire into timer is removed.

stevedo said:
kendor said:

what i meant was it's rather late in the night for you to start tracing out cables so i was making a guess. perhaps you can get more info on where cables run to tomorrow ( christmas eve yeah right :LOL: )
would like to get to the bottom of this so will wait for your reply perhaps in the new year?

kendor said:
why would the motor stop when the lamps came on? they are tungsten filaments after all with negative coefficient of resistance.
If the timer motor were in series with the line side of the lamps as you suggest, then as soon as the switch contacts closed they would short out the motor.

stevedo said:
Current situation is, 2 lights are on with the 3rd bulb removed, timer is running and yellow wire into timer is removed.
you would need to remove all lamps and check motor is running still to prove my theory.

kendor said:
stevedo said:
kendor said:

what i meant was it's rather late in the night for you to start tracing out cables so i was making a guess. perhaps you can get more info on where cables run to tomorrow ( christmas eve yeah right :LOL: )
would like to get to the bottom of this so will wait for your reply perhaps in the new year?

Aaaah, OK lets call it quits for tonight. I'll make everything safe and maybe have a closer look tomorrow or next week.

Thanks again for your help.

to answer the previous queries, why not set the timer to the right time, come back couple of hours later and see what it says

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back