1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightwave knowledge

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by LeeST, 17 Jul 2019.

1. LeeST

LeeST

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys

Looking for some real world knowledge from people in the know.

I am looking into starting with lightwave. Just had a new extension and was going to start here. Reasons for lightwave are

1. It’s easy (I think)
    2. Dimmers look great and have an oem look about them.
    3. My garden has a bit of lightwave in it already.

I already have a nest so aren’t looking to do anything with the heating. Purely lighting and perhaps some sockets.

Now I can’t get into the app without the link which I’m reluctant to buy until I know more. But basically I’m looking for the following...

1. I assume app can switch everything on and off?
    2. I also assume the app can be set with timers to set lights on and off for times like holidays etc?
    3. Can the app set timers for relays such as the older connect type 3 way relay? (This is what controls my garden lighting currently but I just use a lightwave remote control for that)
    4. Any reliability issues? What happens in a powercut, does it all go nuts?

May have some more questions to follow about my outside lighting config if I decide to go ahead and buy some kit

Thanks

2. yorkspark

yorkspark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1. yes the app can control timers, events etc, has on/off and dimmer slider also
    2.indeed, create an event and then set a timer
    3. if the relay can be logged on then a timer/event can be created, i use a relay for bathroom fan
    4.all accessories have no problem with a power cut, the link/hub just does a power cycle and carries on as normal, however if power cut is when a timer was supposed to happen then the timer wont work until the next activation time, ie the next day etc, it doesn't catch up when power restored and turn all timers on/off

3. IT Minion

IT Minion

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've put in some lightwaverf stuff and wasn't impressed.

Compared to the Phillips hue style stuff it's a pain to setup and seems more flakey. Issues where turning lights off didn't take them entirely off, just very very dim. Issues with configuring LED bulbs which required a lot of trial and error setting the maximum drive settings.

The fact that there are physical switches are great and that is much better than Phillips hue style, but I was really disappointed by the experience.

4. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nest works with Energenie so if you want to expand control of heating then Energenie may be an option. However there are some draw backs with every system so I can at least say how I found Energenie.

I found the light switch really fills the box, so in the main it means swapping back box for a deeper version. The unit will only switch on/off without using IFTTT three times a day, and those times can be selected as to which days of the week they are active, not seen a dimmer yet, the simple on/off has a special terminal for using a slave, but instructions did not even say a slave was produced, loss of power it auto switches off, can use three remote controls and the hub.

But the link is one way, it does not report if switched on or off, sockets are the same, no report on or off, there is a plug in socket adaptor which does report power used, but even that does not always report back, today while away from home realised it was hot, so went to switch on the AC which is plugged into the unit which switches and monitors power, seemed the AC was not running as showed no power used, thought I must have AC switched off, on my return room lovely and cool AC had switched on, just had not reported power used.

Only just installed Nest so never done a winter with it, the TRV's however some 2 years old, Nest is only shown on phone and tablet software, does not show up on PC, the Energenie TRV heads follow Nest, so my dinning room, hall and living room all at what ever the wall thermostat is set at, but if any head is below set temperature there is nothing to tell Nest to fire up.

When I selected Energenie to work with Nest it was a better system to Hive, as at that time there were no TRV heads that worked with Hive, now there are, so if Hive can be used i.e. don't require volt free contacts or OpenTherm it now works better than Nest as the Hive TRV head does tell the thermostat which in turn tells the boiler to fire up.

They are all improving, so because today it will not do some thing, does not mean tomorrow it will not do it.

Likely Lightwave is better than Energenie, but since you already have Nest, worth thinking about. There is talk about a annual charge for IFTTT, at moment it is free, Energenie will use it, so you can program in all sorts of daft things, i.e. switch on outside light when there is a frost warning, why one would want to is another question.

Trying to find out what works with what is a nightmare, told my son who also has Nest, but his is generation 2 and mine is generation 3 how Energenie works and he says will not work with gen 2? However I found will Gen 3 it would not do some things, and it was all down to how it was set up.