LightwaveRF TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am thinking of installing LightwaveRF TRVs on all my radiators with a LightwaveRF link to my router. I plan to leave the boiler on permanently with it being controlled by the boiler thermostat. My theory is that when the TRVs are off the boiler thermostat will turn the boiler off. Then when the TRVs open and call for hot water they will mix the cool water withthe system and the boiler thermostat will switch the boiler on.
Does anyone have any comment or experience of this set up?
Thanks
Regards
Costeta

Sponsored Links
Hi Newboy,
I assume the pump will be running all the time please correct me if I'm wrong?
Regards
Costeta

it will unless you tell it to stop, a bypass would be good idea and, depending on your boiler, a method of dumping the heat when there is no demand

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
I would envisage letting the pump run continuously and letting the boiler thermostat turn the boiler off when there is no demand from the TRVs/ radiators?

And what happens when all the TRVs are closed or when it's summer?

The LightwaveRF system has a boiler switch. I'll find out from the manufacturers if the LightwaveRF TRVs trigger the boiler switch when the TRVs open or close?

You need to understand the control aspects of your existing heating system before removing the interlocks and controls.

Im in the process of adding more and more products to my Lightwaverf system however I am not fully convinced by the TRVs yet (also I am not a plumber just an end user). Read the reviews on amazon for the TRVs.

I have a combi and you always need to keep one radiator without a TRV, therefore in your scenario, your boiler will always be on if you keep it on constant, except of course if the heating thermostat is not at the min required temp.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the lightwaverf TRVs cannot control heat levels, only on and off and boost?

Rather than LightwaveRF TRVs have a look at the Z-wave ones. Danfoss do some, but the StellaZ ones are my favourite.

Only thing is you will need a new home automation controller than can control Z wave and LightwaveRF devices. A Vera Lite plus RFX module will do the job. That's what I have and it works beautifully.

Once you've got that controller you have access to the massive range of Z wave kit from all the manufacturers, as well as lighwaveRF for the stuff they do so well (mainly light switches)

Just to clarify, when you say controller, what do you mean, the "wifilink" as lightwaverf like to call it?

Problem with a lot of alternative solutions out there, is that they only offer a limited range of devices so that means you end up having a different iphone / android app for each and cannot therefore control one set of sequences or moods for all your devices.

Lightwavetf seem to be bringing out new devices everyday. Unfortunately as I have just discovered however, they are not able to yet send out alerts via email when an event has been triggered as they only have one way chips I am told by their R&D. Smartthings, a US kickstart campagign looks very interesting and offers this and even moisture detectors, hear, fire etc. But probably a long way off from coming to the UK.

Just to clarify, when you say controller, what do you mean, the "wifilink" as lightwaverf like to call it?

Problem with a lot of alternative solutions out there, is that they only offer a limited range of devices so that means you end up having a different iphone / android app for each and cannot therefore control one set of sequences or moods for all your devices.

Lightwavetf seem to be bringing out new devices everyday. Unfortunately as I have just discovered however, they are not able to yet send out alerts via email when an event has been triggered as they only have one way chips I am told by their R&D. Smartthings, a US kickstart campagign looks very interesting and offers this and even moisture detectors, hear, fire etc. But probably a long way off from coming to the UK.

Yes - When I say controller I mean the thing that speaks to the devices and connects to your wifi. What LightwaveRF calls the wifilink.

There are many standards, but only 3 are widely used in the UK: Z-wave (which goes under many brand names including Vera, Fibaro etc), Zigbee (fewer devices available) and LighwaveRF. The americans use some others, but bear in mind any kit you buy there won't work here even if it is the same standard, because the broadcast frequency is different.

I'd forget about the Kickstarter campaigns. The big existing standards are produced by many many manufacturers so are going to be around for a long time. Some of these newer ones will fall and wither and then you are left with kit that no-one supports.

Z-wave really is the way to go in my opinion, and if you get a Vera plus RFX module it will work perfectly with all your existing kit too. And z wave is full mesh, 2-way, with status, so much more powerful and expandable.

Thanks, I hadn't come across them before and thought that Lightwaverf was the only firm out there unless you want the odd wimo from belkin!

I would be curious to know how you have setup your house and costs etc with that company's products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back