Lightweight Block - Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise the best way to fix 2x4 timber studwork to lightweight blocks? It will carry tile backer boards and tiles to ceiling height so it needs a good solid fix.

Sponsored Links
Can you not plaster the wall, in my shower cubical built with 3" thermalites I used a sand/cement mix with a water proofer, that was over 10years ago, I have just finished retiling it, I used a bolster and lump hammer to take the old tiles off, then a chisel to scrape the tile adhesive off the render. I don't think a hadibacker board will take that sort of abuse..

Building control want 50mm on Celotex on the wall (and I need to hide pipework and mixer valve) so easiest seems to be to fix HBB to 2 inch battens with the Celotex between the battens.

Sponsored Links
if this is for a bathroom, 2 things come to mind.
1. that amount of insulation might take up a fair proportion of your space, and;
2. you might have problems with insulation in that position.

You only have to insulate to comply with Building Regs standard when it is 'technically and functional feasible' to do so.
If you only have a 1" cavity, I suspect you are either converting an existing space, or your space is very tight.
i would re-think this and have a word with your inspector; in terms of thermal insulation, they cannot require you to do anything which is impractical.

It's a first floor extension and the reason for the cavity is what it's sitting on. There is room for 50mm insulation and it will be useful for concealing the shower mixer.

B&Q or the builder's merchants will sell the fixings for aac blocks.
You'll need 4" screws.

7mm drill bit - brown plugs - 100mm #6 screws. Job done.

However...... you can improve the snugness of the fixing if you opt for a 6.5mm drill bit and take the hammer off the drill once you have drilled through the timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back