Fixing in Lightweight Concrete Blocks - Distance to Edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fix some heavy duty wall shelving brackets into some solid lightweight block (thermalite sort of stuff).

The best load ratings without using resin are Rawlplug FF1 frame fixings which give 0.75kn pull out load. I've just managed to get the technical details for these fixings and they suggest a minimum 100mm distance to edge. The problem is the blocks are only 200mm high anyway, which in theory means the fixings need to go into the centre of the block. Obviously not very flexible depending upon where the fixing holes of the bracket are located.

Does anyone know whether the distance to edge is likely to apply when the block forms part of a standard mortar joint wall and whether there is any flexibility to vary these requirements without compromising the block/fixing.

Any views much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
I would imagine the distance from edge ratings apply to unrestrained edges and not built blocks.

I have used 100mm 6s (posi screws) with brown plugs in my gallows brackets and they are holding up an absolute shedload of weight. This is in a celcon type block also.

I have directed the screws in opposing directions to give a bit more pull-out resistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back