lime plaster , coat and a half onto plasterboard.

T

thatbloke

just looking through my options here guys , the scenario is a 200+ year old clay lump extension on the back of a early 16c timber framed cottage cottage. its got a warm roof lean to with wooden shingles. as you can guess it all moves about.
my plaster will be lime putty , sharp sand and goats hair for the walls , coat and a half (a coarse coat then a finish coat while the first coat is still green) but i have been advised to use chalk instead of sand for the ceiling.
its a traditional mix for these parts , its lighter and easier to apply.

now ive thought about various ceiling substrates including lath , reed matt and reed boards however as my ceiling doesnt need to breath ive been considering plasterboard , its cheap and easy.

so , do i need to prepare plasterboard to take a lime ,chalk and goats hair plaster? would giving it a quick coat of limewash do?

Sponsored Links
just looking through my options here guys , the scenario is a 200+ year old clay lump extension on the back of a early 16c timber framed cottage cottage. its got a warm roof lean to with wooden shingles. as you can guess it all moves about.
my plaster will be lime putty , sharp sand and goats hair for the walls , coat and a half (a coarse coat then a finish coat while the first coat is still green) but i have been advised to use chalk instead of sand for the ceiling.
its a traditional mix for these parts , its lighter and easier to apply.

now ive thought about various ceiling substrates including lath , reed matt and reed boards however as my ceiling doesnt need to breath ive been considering plasterboard , its cheap and easy.

so , do i need to prepare plasterboard to take a lime ,chalk and goats hair plaster? would giving it a quick coat of limewash do?

Having never used this type of plastering mix,,, I don't know whether plasterboard would be a suitable substrate for this type of plastering T/Bloke. I would have thought any of the other options,, lath, reed matting etc would provide a much better key,, and would also be a stronger substrate in the long run,, but who knows,,, it would be more expensive though as you said.
You could contact British Gypsum for information and advice on the subject. I'd be interested in their views.

How big is your cieling?.Condition of rafters?.Vapour barrier?Roofing felt?.....If you do it the old way using lime plaster -the laths only need to be four foot long so can be made cheaply by running up 1 inch boards into 6 mm slices on crappy table saw from car boot.Do you have strong neck?

If you live in a traditional cottage why would you want to prostitute yourself and use plasterboard? You'll regret it one day. :cry:

Sponsored Links
might be all right in a Tart`s bodoir :idea: An old book ( 1926) suggests expanded metal mesh :idea:

Is thatbloke still there?.Are you too busy battoning to reply?.The last post mentioned using metal mesh-this doesent sound like a good idea as it will not provide a good fixiing for the lime plaster.Beware of information from old books-i have one that suggests using cement based render on buildings that dont have dampcourses!....now we understand more about breathing actions within stonework and would now never do such a thing.Has anyone used an alternative to the traditional battoning system when lime plastering a ceiling ?

sorry for the late reply guys , a new addition to the family brought everything to a halt.
back on track now though.
the roof is new , its 150x50 rafters at 500 centres (regs said 600 but 500 was easier) ,breathable felt, counter batten , batten then cedar shingles.

my main issue here is cost , lath costs a fair old whack of dollars but you are all right of course , plasterboard would almost be as bad as using plastic windows on a house like this.
making my own lath is interesting but after buying a table saw etc i may as well just buy pre cut lath.

has anybody ever plastered onto reed matt or reed boards?

.The last post mentioned using metal mesh-this doesent sound like a good idea as it will not provide a good fixiing for the lime plaster.Beware of information from old books-i have one that suggests using cement based render on buildings that dont have dampcourses!....now we understand more about breathing actions within stonework and would now never do such a thing.Has anyone used an alternative to the traditional battoning system when lime plastering a ceiling ?

the last person who 'restored' this cottage lifted the lovely brick floors that were laid to earth and put down a nice plastic dpc with 100mm of concrete ontop , they then went on to render parts of the house with nice cement render, most of the internal walls were cement plastered. :eek:
a clay lump wall blew apart when the cement render cracked letting in water that froze in winter the frost and 3 sole plates need replacing and several studs need new timber scarfing into the bottoms of them , and this is just the bits that i can see. :cry:
still , at least i have the gumption to do it properly and as a result the old place will hopefully still be standing 500 years from now. :D
isnt it strange how crudely they built these old houses using the simplest of materials and techniques and 500 years later old houses like this still stand , they were only supposed to last for one generation , however apply modern materials and modern building techniques and you can cause a house like this to self destruct within a few decades.

What is size of ceiling?.How much is pre cut lath ?-bought my table saw for 10 euro [carboot]and use it for running up rough wood and making kindling for stove.Are you going to use sheepswool as insulation?...........Ithink we need a restoration section to forum.

What is size of ceiling?.How much is pre cut lath ?-bought my table saw for 10 euro [carboot]and use it for running up rough wood and making kindling for stove.Are you going to use sheepswool as insulation?...........Ithink we need a restoration section to forum.

i think we need a forum for restoration work as well. ;)
the ceiling is only about 2.5 x 3.5 meters or so , it will follow the rafters (lean-to) to about half way then change direction and level off to form a part false ceiling , this is so i can hide all my services , pipework etc in the void.
i will be using cellotex as insulating , i thought about using greener products but cellotex is just very good at what is does , any greener product will not be so green after 10 or so years of wasting the energy that using cellotex saves , if that makes any sense at all.
not sure of prices off hand nor have i done my sums to find out how much exactly i need but i can remember it not being cheap , ive also got my kitchen to do and this is around 2.5/3 meters by 7 ish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back