Limescale remover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a standard white toilet thats got severe limescale build up below and just above the water line. Whats the best way of removing the limescale without damaging the toilet?

I've tried leaving some Domestos and limescale removers from the supermarket in there overnight but its not made a dent. I don't really fancy taking a chisel to it in case I cause a chip, or worse.

Sponsored Links
limescale remover should work ok.
did you pour it sraight into the pan with the water ?
if so you have probably watered it down.

two things that I have found really do help:

Harpic do a tablet that you put in the bowl, it fizzes and overnight dissolves a lot of lime (but only up to the water level). I forget the name but the box has a lot of black print on it.

Domestos Bleach blocks, that you put in the cistern, do slowly dissolve lime. When I had the problem, I put the Harpic block in the cistern first (it took a couple of goes) to remove the existing scale quickly, so it did not neutralise the bleach block.

You may find it hard to believe, but it the bleach block even dissolves the scale from under the rim, which is very hard to get to. You will notice the float in the cistern losing its scale as well, over time. Each block should last a few weeks. One WC I cleaned (not in my own house) had a severe tide-mark, which ordinary cleaners did not remove, but after a couple of months of using bleach blocks it had gone. "Bloo" or scented blocks don't work.

And use a limescale-removing lavatory cleaner as well, not just a sanitizing one. Use the brush to push most of the water out of the pan, give it a few minutes to dry off, then squirt the cleaner round the pan especially on any scale, and leave it overnight or, if you are at work, through the day.

Sponsored Links
As John says - especially the harpic products. For what it's worth, you may wish to drape loo paper over the waterline area and apply chemicals onto this so that they remain in contact with the scale. I have used brick acid in the past with varying degrees of success - this has never damaged the porcelain in any way.

You dont say where you are so we cannot judge the amount of lime in your water.

I would use a traditional mop to pump the water out of the bowl and then apply spirits of sale with an old paint brush as this is very effective because the calcium chloride formed is very soluble.

Brick acid is I think sulphuric acid but the resulting calcium sulphate is insoluble.

If you keep the lid closed you will reduce the evaporation and thus scale deposition.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back