Limestone dyed after using mortar dye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, first post here so go easy.

I laid some Indian Black Limestone flags as a small 3x3 patio at the weekend. I then mortated between the flags, but I dyed the mortar a dark grey to better match the slabs. However, there seems to have been some dye transfer along the mortar lines meaning I now have darker tracks along where the flags meet. There was no warning of transfer on the packaging (Bostik cement dye) and it said it was suitable for colouring mortars. What are my options? It's now dry. I'm thinking I should have sealed the flags before mortaring (hind sight and all). The flags aren't actually as dark as I'd like, so I'd not be adverse to dying them all to match the lines, but whats going to happen in a few years (it is a lightly trafficked area). Will sealing them darken them at all?

Sponsored Links
Used that this summer to build a little pebble stone feature. The dye looked really good - for a couple of days then faded quick! Went from black to normal, paler concrete bland colour. Also got some dye on some of the stones and that's worn off now.
I'd wait and see if it will weather and go back to normal. Chances are they will over winter.

Really? There's hope. However I'm not sure it has dyed it as it seems to be fading in some places. I think, due to the cold and wet weather, the mortar is holding onto moisture and it's keeping the joints wet with water still in the stones.

I've looked into sealants to both protect but also enhance the colour of the stone which may mask the darker tracks. So I'll wait until the spring to try that. Who knows, as you say, it may fade before then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back