Limestone flags - dark staining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I might be on the wrong thread here but want to see if there's anyone out there that can advise.

We have recently laid some mid/light grey limestone flagstones and used Cementone Wide Jointing Compund to grout inbetween. All great so far and the finished look is just what we wanted...but... Idiots that we are (yes we have learnt our lesson) we didn't seal the limestone before grouting as the mix is meant to be non-staining and 'dry' and we just wanted to seal the whole thing in one go afterwards. So I notice now that around the edges of the flags it looks darker (like they are wet) with a oily film on the top.

I have used Lithofin Waxoff on them and this has gotten rid of the sheen but there is still a dry looking darkening left underneath. is there anything else to try?

I have seen 'Aqua seal Microscrub' which I assume I can try and exfoliate the surface. Failing that I may to hire a polisher and give that a try.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Some photos may help. its possible that the staining has come from the side\back rather than on top, this does happen with light natural stone. Pop some photos on and lets see!

Hi tpt

I have (hopefully) attached some photos.

I have tried to capture the shiny parts too, the staining definately seems to be on the top as you can almost see where the sand has been brushed in I.e only certain high spots of the stone are darker giving it a mottled appearance

(The dark circles are wet dog prints!)

View media item 87486 View media item 87487 View media item 87488 View media item 87489 View media item 87490 View media item 87491 View media item 87492 View media item 87493 View media item 87494 [/img]

I see what you mean. doesnt look like soak through staining.

if you havent already it may be worth speaking directly to lithofin (well casdron in the UK) and explain the issue, their tech dept is veryn helpful. i would think you would be needing wexa or a (very) small amount of cement away rather than wax off, but see what they say

http://casdron.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your advice, I contacted the supplier of the slabs in the end and they are sending me a sample cleaner to try - so will see how I get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back