Removing stained lithofin slate seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can advise me. I laid a black chinese slate floor in our kitchen about 3 years ago with considerable help from this forum.

It was sealed with a couple of coats of Lithofin MN slate seal, and it has lasted very well indeed. Today, an unfortunate accident with a Galileo thermometer (the type that is a glass tube full of water containing glass bulbs of coloured alcohol that move up and down according to the temp) where it shattered and dumped water and the contents of one of the alcohol bulbs over the floor.

Although it was mopped up quickly there was a very strong alcohol smell and whern the floor dried there is terrible white staining. I suspect (hope to G**) that it is the sealer that is stained and I don't have to replace the tiles.

I have searched a variety of places with no success. I don't want to try re-sealing it with more lithofin (the idea being the new sealer will dissolve the old and remove the white discolouration), just in case it seals the stain in.

Any ideas? I could post a photo of the damage if someone could tell me how to do it.

:?:
Thanks in advance

A

Sponsored Links
Update - managed to find the original tin of sealer, and there is a Lithofin product formulated to remove it - Wax off.

I also tried a little in an unobtrusve section of the stain, and it seems to remove the white marks! so I'll leave it for a few days to dry properly before doing the rest.

Thanks anyway. - A

if you have any more problems use lithofins cement away, will strip the old stuff of no probs at all, but use gloves with it! it can hurt if it gets into cuts etc :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back