Please recommend me a primer, adhesive and grout for slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tiling my shower and wash basin stand with 400x400x10mm honed slate tiles. The manufacturer has priced me up a norcross adhesive and unbranded grout that they recommend. I know on this board everyone seems to recommend BAL products. I will be tiling onto MDF (wash basin stand) and moisture plaster board. I have already purchased a Dunlop sealing kit. The manufacturer has also told me I will need to prime bond the walls. My instinct tells me to buy the adhesive, grout and primer on recommendation from this board rather than the manufacturer. My questions to this board are:

1) Best adhesive (quick setting I understand)
2) Prime Bond - brand, type and do I use prior to tanking or after
3) Grout - heard Ardex is good?
4) Sealer - manufacturer recommended a Lithofin MN Stain stop - is this any good?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
adhesive

one from the ardex flex range(cant remember the number tho, for the fast setting one)..5001 or 6001..
primer p.

bal rapidset flex
primer...apd/primer.

weber
weber rapidset spf
primer ad250

or all of the above have a stone adhesive.

as for grout what colour and space are you going for.?

sealer.. i use aqua mix 90% of the time(others will have there choice tho).

p.s
get rid of the mdf.. and use a12.5mm cementbased backerboaord..hardie/aquapanel..etc..

I just layed my bathroom floor with 600x300 honed slate tiles and i used MN stainstop on them and it has stopped the stains so far. i applied a few coats before laying and grouting and one after.

As for grout i used bal micro-colour as i have used it in the past and it stays mould free and sets very quick.

Sponsored Links
bal rapidset flex for your adhesive
and for your primer use apd

for your sealer use aqua mix

sorry for the delay in answering your query, but if you look carefully at Davies (tictic) reply to you, you will see all the info you need is there

I want a small a joint as possible really, what would you recommend using a 400mm x 400mm natural slate in a wet environment? I assume it will need to be at least 1mm? I'm a bit dumbfounded by all the products so your advice is greatly appreciated.

Also when grouting, do you apply it with a blade, wiping off excess then finish with a grouting tool?

I want a small a joint as possible really, what would you recommend using a 400mm x 400mm natural slate in a wet environment? I assume it will need to be at least 1mm? I'm a bit dumbfounded by all the products so your advice is greatly appreciated.

Also when grouting, do you apply it with a blade, wiping off excess then finish with a grouting tool?

you can use 1mm spacers and a flexi grout of your chosen colour, Being a tiler mate i apply my grout with a grouting float ( commonly called a squeegy), as its starting to dry out i go over it again wiping off excess as i go, once the grout is drying out, i clean the face of the tiles with my washboy ( basically a hydro sponge, clean water and bucket), when finished, there will be a slight haze on the face of the tiles, just polish it off with a lint free cloth

Check this link to see what the tools are i have mentioned

http://tradetiler.com/acatalog/Starter_Tool_List.html

Thanks again for your advice. So for the final finish of the grout - is it just smoothed over after using the squeegee or do you finish it with a special tool so it is indented?

Also - fi you could anser me this, I am tiling a shower cubicle in a brick staggered fashion using 400mm x 400mm tiles. The cubicle is 1200 x 800mm and is a 'u' shape, 1200mm being the back wall. My question is where do I start tiling?

I am aware that I need to measure the height to which I am tiling and cut the tiles for the first row at the bottom of the cubicle as these will be a different height to the others to obtain the correct overall height. I assume I will need to tile from the centre of the cubicle (the back wall) and work my way outwards? Is this correct? Obviously I will need to cut, clean and apply stain stop to all my tiles prior to using the adhesive.

Thanks again for your advice. So for the final finish of the grout - is it just smoothed over after using the squeegee or do you finish it with a special tool so it is indented?

Also - fi you could anser me this, I am tiling a shower cubicle in a brick staggered fashion using 400mm x 400mm tiles. The cubicle is 1200 x 800mm and is a 'u' shape, 1200mm being the back wall. My question is where do I start tiling?

I am aware that I need to measure the height to which I am tiling and cut the tiles for the first row at the bottom of the cubicle as these will be a different height to the others to obtain the correct overall height. I assume I will need to tile from the centre of the cubicle (the back wall) and work my way outwards? Is this correct? Obviously I will need to cut, clean and apply stain stop to all my tiles prior to using the adhesive.

a good grouting job, is when the grout is finished FLUSH with the edges of the tiles, NO indentations

as you enter the shower, the focal point is the wall facing you, start there.
Centre the wall, horizontally and vertically, then you will have to mark out where your tiles are going start ( on a full tile from centre lines, or half tiles) Sorry not to good at explaining things in laymans terms

By half tiles from center i do net mean a cut half tile, i mean starting the centre of the tile on the centre lines and not a full tile, you need to work it out so you have equal cuts at each side and top and bottom.

if you dont understand what i mean, just say so and i will try to explain an easier way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back