Please recommend me a primer, adhesive and grout for slate

Yes I think I understand. Is it then better to lay the first row, from the centre outwards and continue onto the two other walls, or is it better to tile the facing wall first, then tile the two other walls after the facing wall is complete?

Sponsored Links
cheers for that, it makes sense! I assume that I will be ok just butting up the corners of the tiles in the two corners then grouting to fill the gap? When it comes to the seal between shower tray and tile, I assume a bead of silicone is sufficient, or do you recommend using a tile trim? I have already put a bead of silicone between the tray and plasterboard walls.

cheers for that, it makes sense! I assume that I will be ok just butting up the corners of the tiles in the two corners then grouting to fill the gap? When it comes to the seal between shower tray and tile, I assume a bead of silicone is sufficient, or do you recommend using a tile trim? I have already put a bead of silicone between the tray and plasterboard walls.

personally Matt, i would not grout down the 2 corners, i would run a bead of silicone down them, at the bottom, tile to shower tray, cut the nozzle of your silicone to a smallish point, run a small bead of silicone all around the tray, leave it for a while to cure, THEN run a slightly heavier bead around, thus forming a watertight seal between, tiles and wall, and tiles and shower tray

Sponsored Links
Right nearly there, sorry for all the questions, just going over it in my mind!!
When using the silicone do I use:

a) grout corners of tiles using dark grey grout (on a dark grey tile), then run a bead of silicone over the top?

b) Is it best to use clear silicone, and what brand?

c) Is it best to use masking tape to get a neat edge?

d) Is the gap between tray and tile the same as the other grouting gaps, ie. 1mm?

Right nearly there, sorry for all the questions, just going over it in my mind!!
When using the silicone do I use:

a) grout corners of tiles using dark grey grout (on a dark grey tile), then run a bead of silicone over the top?

b) Is it best to use clear silicone, and what brand?

c) Is it best to use masking tape to get a neat edge?

d) Is the gap between tray and tile the same as the other grouting gaps, ie. 1mm?
nearly there lol

a) grout tiles up to the corners ( not actually into the corners, running from ceiling to tray)

b) use the same colour silicone as the grout you are using ( dark grey) plenty of good silicones out there, but make sure its " anti fungal"

c) Probably best for you yes

d) try to get around 3-4 mm from cut edge of tile to tray, it does not matter what grout joint you are having, wether its 1mm, 4mm or even 10mm mate

Great!! I assue the 3-4mm from tile to tray is just to allow for a good flexible seal? - rather than a small 1mm gap? The tiles will also be overlapping the tray by a good 5mm, so that will provide a good overhang.

Also what's the best method to smooth silicone, I do have a tool somewhere and have heard stories of fingers, spit and washing up liquid!! any tips?

Thanks for all your great advice!

Also do you have any tips on wet cutting slate with a tile saw, just take it slowly and make sure the blade is in good nick I assume? I'm also tiling a sink worktop and unsure wether or not I will be able to mitre the external corner using the 10mm slate or wether this is asking for trouble?

Great!! I assue the 3-4mm from tile to tray is just to allow for a good flexible seal? - rather than a small 1mm gap? The tiles will also be overlapping the tray by a good 5mm, so that will provide a good overhang.

Also what's the best method to smooth silicone, I do have a tool somewhere and have heard stories of fingers, spit and washing up liquid!! any tips?

Thanks for all your great advice!

Also do you have any tips on wet cutting slate with a tile saw, just take it slowly and make sure the blade is in good nick I assume? I'm also tiling a sink worktop and unsure wether or not I will be able to mitre the external corner using the 10mm slate or wether this is asking for trouble?

the slight gap is so that you can get a good watertight seal, run bead of silicone, lightly spray a mix of soapy water and run your finger along slowly. then remove your tape

Cutting slate is best done with a good/decent blade, crap ones tend to chip the edges, nice and SLOWLY and make sure you always have water in the tray
on your electric cutter you will be able to mitre the slate, no probs, Just double check everything before beginning to make your c uts, and take your time

Best of luck mate

Great advice thanks, the final question - how much should I pay for a decent blade and can you recommend any here?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Abrasives/Diamond+Blades/d130/sd1450

And from this page Im thinking of getting:

Sponge
Adhesive Comb
Grout Spreader
Tile File
Spacers
Mixing Arm

Is there anything else you think I will need?

wouldnt recommend any of them mate, as i have never used them before, but i WILL RECOMMEND this place to buy them from http://tradetiler.com/acatalog/tile_cutter_diamond_Wheels.html

you might not have to buy this, but a small bladed scraper or similar, to clean the adhesive out off the joints ( before it sets hard) you want the joints clean before you grout

I know toolstation are fairly cheap mate, but for blades go to a reputable dealer like " trade tiler"

cheers

One last question, or three!

When laying the 400mm x 400mm x 10mm slate tiles, to what thickness do I comb the adhesive?

To cover 9sq m, how many 20K bags of BAL rapidset will I need?

To what consistency do I mix the adhesive?

Thanks

One last question, or three!

When laying the 400mm x 400mm x 10mm slate tiles, to what thickness do I comb the adhesive?

use a half moon comb on the floor and also back butter the tiles as you go.dont forget to prime the subsrate.

To cover 9sq m, how many 20K bags of BAL rapidset will I need?
3 bags.
To what consistency do I mix the adhesive?

lump free,the mix ratio will be on the bag.
Thanks

are your slate tile uncalibrated or calibrated?

cool..seal them,fix them to floor,clean them,grout them,seal them,seal them again if needed.
enjoy your weekend..and.......take your time..dont rush it..ok ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back