limestone fireplace color difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all .i have had a natrual limestone fireplace and limstone mirror to match installed recently.
I have noticed that the limestone mirror surround and also the top of the fireplace mantle are more of a cream colour compared to the legs of the mantle which are more white in color,can i sand down the limestone lightly to match the white color or do i need some kind of color restorer to match the color.
Having never worked with limesone i am not sure of its properties and therfore what you can do with it to darken/lighten it.

cheers chops

Sponsored Links
chops said:
Hi all .i have a natrual limestone limstone mirror to match installed recently.

if its a limestone mirror how does it work? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
How about talking to a local stonemason?

If the colours all matched originally then I presume you may be able to do something to bring it up. A very mild acidic cleaner would probably do the job (this is based on o-level chemistry and not experience I hasten to add).

If they didn't match originally then I expect you're stuck with it. Sanding it sounds a bit extreme but you could always try a small patch first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back