Limestone - removing stain and sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am hoping you can help me out. I recently installed my bathroom which includes two pieces of Moleanos Limestone. Unfortunately within the first week I was stupid enough to put my wet shampoo bottle onto it and forgot to remove it and I now have a dark outline where it sat.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can remove the stain and what I can do to protect the stone in the future?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Limestone is incredibly porous & the stain may have gone quite deep.

If I was you I'd give Lithofin's technical help desk a call & ask them if they can suggest an approach. I've heard of someone making a poultice using fullers earth to draw a stain out but it may be tricky.

http://www.lithofin.co.uk/

They make very good sealers like Stain Stop that will help protect it in the future but with stone you will have to be careful even after it's sealed as you can't protect it 100%.

Limestone is incredibly porous & the stain may have gone quite deep.

If I was you I'd give Lithofin's technical help desk a call & ask them if they can suggest an approach. I've heard of someone making a poultice using fullers earth to draw a stain out but it may be tricky.

http://www.lithofin.co.uk/

They make very good sealers like Stain Stop that will help protect it in the future but with stone you will have to be careful even after it's sealed as you can't protect it 100%.

Thanks for that. I am hoping that the stain has not gone that deep. When the stone is dry it is hardly visible, but it does get worse when it gets wet again. It seems to be slowly getting better so maybe some form of treatment may help remove the final residue. I will definitely seal it asap to avoid future issues.

Thanks again

Quick update - just spoke to the supplier and the marble was treated with LITHOFIN STAINSTOP. I guess I need to ring the manufacturer to get a recommendation on how to remove the stain.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean it was treated before it was supplied or that the tiler treated it after installing it?

If you mean the former then it's unusual & I'd imagine it will only have had a light application to prevent grout staining it during installation.

It should have had it's main application after installation once it's all grouted and cleaned. Some Limestones will drink gallons of Stainstop before they are sealed.

However you should be aware that although Lithofin is a very good sealer (probably the best) nothing will protect against all chemicals and anything that's acidic will attack the stone & etch into the surface. This includes quite a lot of bathroom cleaners and household items.

You could try Lithofin Power Clean (safe for stone) but if it's etched the stone, then it will need to be polished out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back