Limestone Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension being built at the moment which is going across the back on my house, the rear wall is coming down so our kitchen is being knocked through into the new extension.
We will end up with a large L shaped room consisteing of 1 part new build with proper concrete slab insulated etc...

Then there is the existing room which has the original concrete slab.

Wet Underfloor heating is going into both rooms and we were planing on putting lareg (600x600) Limestone tiles across the whole space.

However i'm concerned about the posibilities of the two different slabs moving and causing cracking along the line where the two slabs meet.

I'm worried that we will pay a fortune for the tiles and then for the installation and then get the tiles cracking if the slabs move differently.

I understand that you can build in expansion joints but i'm just trying to get advice on the best way to construct it all so we can guarentee that the floor will not move and the tiles won't crack.

One point to make is that they are planning on laying the screed across the both rooms in a single go so the concreete slabs will be separate but the screed will be a continuos piece.

I would appreciate any advice.

Should be be looking at using differnet materials rather than limestone tiles etc...

Regards

Sponsored Links
Any new construction will settle a bit,may only be a few mm but I would say you are right to be a bit concerned.
You cannot garantee that the floor wont move as this will depend on factors like type of soil,depth of foundations closely located trees.

Thanks for the reply.
So based on your experience what would you do to minimise the risks of the tiles cracking.

I understand there is a risk but I really like the limestone tiles they look fantastic.

So what can I do to minimise the floor cracking.

1. Expansion joints?
2. special grout or somekind of backing boards or covering?
3. design a pattern around the area where there is more risk of cracking (i.e. the edges of the two floor services where they meet) so any cracking may appear hidden?)
4. Maybe even choose a different floor covering, something that isn't as suseptable to the movement.

I don't know whats best and i'd rather be in a position to do as many things to ensure the floor surface stays intacted and perfect, if possible.

I'd really appreciate any advice from the experts.

Regards

i would look into the schluter dilex xp..think thats what we used on last job.
you incorperate into the screed when laying screed,acts as a good level for the screed to. you should have exspansion/control joint every 8m2 but check this, not sure?
but i would have one were the 2 slabs meet at least.

when screed as cured 1mm per day then commision your wet floor heating gently turning up a few degrees every few days check m.i for this.
look into a control joint around the edge of room to.

then a ditra de-coupling menbrane over screed this helps with any movement/thermal etc..
use a adhesive for wet u/floor heating bal single part fastflex/mapei keraflex range.

have a look thro the named above websites they should have info for you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back