Line of Sight Bricks

Sponsored Links
Which is it. Who owns what?

The latter Woody now i'm at home and can check the actual doc. I haven't seen their deeds of course but my land has a thick line around it... I assume red on the BS original as mine is a black and white photocopy but done at point of purchase. All land boundaries are clearly marked as dotted lines which excludes the land down the side of their building including the markers. I think they have misread their documents. Just talked to the previous owner and she says the council maintain all the land in blue on my drawing and as far as she knows they cant park there or pave it as they don't own it. She will know as she's was here 25 years and her husband was Chairman of Wokingham Council and was very precise about such detail. Nice guy but very pedantic. I'll have a chat with the new people and just for sanity's sake suggest they check with their solicitor and /or council before getting excited. But I appreciate everyones advice and opinion. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Rule 1. Never ask a question if you think you might not like the answer.

Very true charliegolf..... but I'm OK with the answers as I'm just trying to get a better understanding and I do for sure now. Hopefully it will help them

Sponsored Links
Done some looking around...

You say there is a 'line of sight' mark in the drives. I would say that will also be in the lawns which of course previous owners may have removed not realising the significance of the line. I note that a previous owner made reference to maintenance by the council - that is pretty indicative that the land is council land.

On the conveyance plan solid lines and dashed lines have meanings - you really do need the original signed and countersigned plan. On my original conveyance plan the solid (red) line is boundary; on the plan I was supplied with on purchasing the property the solid line outlines a different area, supplied as part of the searches; on the county highways plan the boundary is different again - a solid line which matches the plan I was supplied with matches the searches plan but has dashed lines where the original plan has solid red line and the other area is council land. That area is planted with grass.
I am not supposed to do anything to that area (about 2Sq Mtr) apart from mow it. That includes planting any plants (flowers, food, bushes or trees) or replace the grass with hard standing. I know as I've had the county's highway officers onto my neighbours and me as we tried to stop people from parking their cars on what we beleived was our grass, cause that parking was shredding the lawns.

Your neighbour needs his original conveyance documents. He needs to understand the restrictions in Schedule 4 of the conveyance document.

You all need to be careful as asking questions like this could cause the county highways officers to come and investigate which could upset many people with reparation work they demand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back