linea 24 hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turn on hot water and boiler fires up fine but after min or two starts making strange gurgling noises and flame goes out but boiler doesnt lockout, then noises stop and boiler fires up again and this cycle keeps repeating.
After reading other posts seems to suggest Domestic Heat Exchanger is problem but im almost certain noises are not coming from there but from inside the boiler cover. Could it be the Main Heat Exchanger which is the problem?
If so is the boiler completely finished.
Many thanks

Oh also the CH works fine its just hot water.

Sponsored Links
probably blocked or scaled domestic h/e, although i have occasionally had to change both h/e's at the same time.

if its just the domestic h/e then it shouldn't be hugely expensive to replace. change the non return valve at the same time.

keep a hold of this boiler as i reckon its one of the last good models made.

Thanks mate i will start with that and hope its not the main heat exchanger

Well I took off heat exchanger and flushed it through and some black muck came out and so far boiler seems fine so thanks guys.
But just another quiery, is it possible to turn the exchanger around so the top holes go at the bottom?
The reason I say it is that one set of holes where all black and scaled up but the other two looked gleaming and as good as new which I found strange. So can I spin it round to extend its life?

Sponsored Links
no, the fixings are offset so it only goes on one way.

Oh cheers. Is it normal then for just the one line of holes to scale up

sorry no you cant.

& i'm afraid its going to need more than just flushing through with water.

an acidic solution such as 'scalebreaker fx' should be used (pumped through would be better).

also the whole system should be flushed, treated & inhibitor added.

+ fitting a 'magnaclean' would be good.

Yes I did think it would probably only be a temporary fix. At least it stops the wifes whinging at me for a while tho. Thanks again for all the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back