Lining an awkward ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back again! This time it is lining an awkward ceiling which slopes evenly both sides:

This is what it looks like! A sort of mansard roof Angled at both sides, about 2ft, then straight across the ceiling. The ceiling is about 4 metres on the flat. I know the obvious answer is, carefully,but seriously, apart from a broom, steps what else should I envisage for a ceiling height of 10 feet?
thanks for any assistance
Peter

Sponsored Links
Peter1954, good evening.

Sorry i am confused, are you looking for ways of supporting a plasterboard sheet as you are trying to fix it to the ceiling?

Ken

Lining ceilings is fairly easy (provided that you have trestles/boards set at the right height).

Cut the paper to length and as you paste it on the table and concertina it, use a straight edge to provide you with tight creases. Make each fold at approx 10". The creases will disappear as the paper dries but they will enable you to hold the concertina as you unfurl it.

I use a 24" wide taping knife to support the concertina'd paper as I am unfurling it (so that it doesn't flop all over the place).

Buy double or quad length rolls. Not only will have less waste, the paper will be less inclined to keep trying to "run" back up the pasting table in an attempt to re-roll itself .

After sizing the ceiling, apply full fat paste to the ceiling as well as the paper as you work you way across (I use a roller for both). It will reduce the risk of the paper having dry spots.

Invest in a 9mm snap off blade knife (Olfa make the best blades) and use the wide taping knife for trimming the ends. If the wall/ceiling joins are irregular use a a shorter taping knife as required. Snap off blade sections as soon as you notice the paper ripping rather than slicing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back