Lining paper - iffy walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just stripped hall&landing of some lovely textured wallpaper. It was obviously there for some time. Much to my surprise the walls were not as bad as I expected. However, I've not had much experience with lining paper and the walls aren't perfect. I've purchased some 1000 weight rolls in the hope they will remove all the blemishes. But I am concerned that when the paper goes up, being wet it will show up the worst parts of the walls. Am I worrying without cause? Would it be a good idea to paint the walls before putting the ling paper up? (It will be painted after).

Sponsored Links
You don't need to paint before you put up lining paper, just make sure you clean the walls of the old wallpaper paste thoroughly.

Lining paper wont hide bad imperfections - if you are worried, I would use filler first over the worst areas.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Why have you asked the same question twice?
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77783

If you were unhappy with the reply I gave you, why didn't you say so on the other thread? :confused:

Gcol:
Why would I post it twice? It would be a waste of time. I originally accidentally posted the forum in the projects section when I first registered. So, i copied it to the decorating area. Unfortunately the administrators did not delete the original but moved it to the decorating area too. Hence two identical posts. Sorry I haven't replied sooner as this is my first opportunity. Your advice was very welcome and I am considering buying some blown paper (in a corduroy effect) as I've seen it recently on a new build and looked very good painted. Although they obviously had better walls.

Pna:
Thanks for your advice too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back