Lining paper - iffy walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just stripped hall&landing of some lovely textured wallpaper. It was obviously there for some time. Much to my surprise the walls were not as bad as I expected. However, I've not had much experience with lining paper and the walls aren't perfect. I've purchased some 1000 weight rolls in the hope they will remove all the blemishes. But I am concerned that when the paper goes up, being wet it will show up the worst parts of the walls. Am I worrying without cause? Would it be a good idea to paint the walls before putting the ling paper up? (It will be painted after).

Sponsored Links
handyattimes said:
But I am concerned that when the paper goes up, being wet it will show up the worst parts of the walls.
What is it exactly that you're worried about? What's wet? :confused:

gcol said:
handyattimes said:
But I am concerned that when the paper goes up, being wet it will show up the worst parts of the walls.
What is it exactly that you're worried about? What's wet? :confused:

Well, the wallpapering experience I've had, usually still shows the rough surface of the wall underneath, as when the paper is wet with the paste it just moulds to the surface of the wall. I've never used lining before and I really just need a bit of peace of mind that an uneven surface will be sorted out with it and not show up the wobbly, uneven wall underneath. An yes, holes are filled and sanded.

Sponsored Links
If your wall is bumpy, all you'll get by lining it is a smooth finish - the bumps will still be there though. Lining paper will only cover minor imperfections but bumps and ridges will still show up. A deep blown vinyl will cover a lumpy wall but that's probably what you've just stripped off.
If you decide to line the walls anyway, a matt emulsion will hide more imperfections than silk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back